Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ4 to Photo Tripod Converter?

bond19

The AZ4 has a 3/8” thread and most photographic threads are 1/4”. There are plenty of  3/8” female to 1/4” male  adapters available so you should be able to locate one easily enough. 

22 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

The AZ4 has a 3/8” thread and most photographic threads are 1/4”. There are plenty of  3/8” female to 1/4” male  adapters available so you should be able to locate one easily enough. 

That is true, but the 1/4" thread is standard for the connection between photo tripod head and camera.

On most good quality photo tripods you can remove the photo head (on some, like Manfrottos, you may need to turn the tripod over and undo some grub screws to unlock it , but in most cases, just unscrew the head anticlockwise ) The screw from the tripod legs to the photo head is a standard 3/8" (so photo heads are swappable between brands) Not every tripod has a detachable head, some small travel tripods are column and head all in one.

I have no idea if the AZ4 base is flat and would work with the column top platform part of a photo tripod , I know for sure the AZ5 is (I have one on a Manfrotto tripod) and searched in vain for information about the AZ4 removability/compatibility when I was deciding which to buy.

That's why I am watching this thread, in the hope I can finally find out from an owner !

Heather

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

That is true, but the 1/4" thread is standard for the connection between photo tripod head and camera.

On most good quality photo tripods you can remove the photo head (on some, like Manfrottos, you may need to turn the tripod over and undo some grub screws to unlock it , but in most cases, just unscrew the head anticlockwise ) The screw from the tripod legs to the photo head is a standard 3/8".

Yes, my 475B has a standard 3/8-in bolt.  My Benro tripod does also.

My AZ4 uses the same thread as my Vixen GPDX which I think is bigger than 3/8”. Pretty sure it is M12 and the underside is a broad flat surface,

Edited by Ludd
  • Like 1