Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To cover or not to cover?

Ok so i am hoping on getting a Flextube Dob in (maaaybe) the next few days and was wondering how do i protect it? I have found a site (Widescreen Centre) that sells covers for them. I am planning on keeping the actual scope in my room, and then mount in the garage. Tho what i am worried about is that with the scope in my room, my room is rather small and would be next to a heater, Is this ok? I dont want to damage the thing!! So basically just do i need to cover it, If so do i need to fork out as much as £70 for a cover or will something else suffice and will it be ok living infront of a heater!!!

I keep my Flextube in the garage and wouldn't want to bring it into a warm room after an observing session because of dewing. The primary should be protected by the pretty-much airtight base lid but the secondary is exposed to air via the gap between upper and lower cages. I have the Astrozap shroud which stays on when the scope is collapsed and would probably be sufficient to prevent secondary dewing when bringing the scope inside but I haven't had a chance to test this properly yet. A scope is best kept as close to outside temperature as possible.

Archived