12" Skywatcher Dob (GoTo) - Weights Of OTA And Base??

I'm thinking about moving up from my 10" Bresser to the 12" S/W, but can't find any consistent/accurate info about the weight of the OTA, and the weight of the base/mount.

Can anyone help with this?  And general comments about how manageable the thing is?  (It would not be a permanent setup, and not on wheels.)

Thanks.

Doug.

Thanks John.  I think I found the figures there from another source, but it can be confusing as still other sources quote far higher weights!

Anyway, the S/W site gives 24kg for the base, and 21kg for the OTA + accessories, so I'll go by that.

Still interested to hear what any owners think about managing this 'scope though......

Doug.

That sounds about right.

I used to have a Meade Lightbridge 12 which weighed around 37kg in total.

My 12 inch Orion Optics is a lot lighter - around 27kg in total. No GOTO / motors of course.

I found the Lightbridge 12 too heavy for my liking. I could move it around in two parts but once it was set up it had to more or less stay put for the session. With my current dob I can move the whole thing (carefully) a short distance (ie: a few feet) to get the best views of the sky.

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Still interested to hear what any owners think about managing this 'scope though......

Hi Doug,

I've owned the 12" SkyWatcher GoTo scope for a couple of years now. I regularly carry my scope, (base first then the tube), from my office out into the back garden or to the car quite regularly. I've just paced it out, and it's about 30 paces. I used to always take the battery pack separately, but I now just leave the battery pack strapped onto the base too. Think how far you would want to carry two heavy bags of shopping, and that's about as far as you'd want to carry the base. The tube isn't so bad; just a bit cumbersome. You could carry it for about twice that distance if needed I would think.

I bought one of those sack trolleys off the internet with a large, extended, fold down foot plate in case I wanted to move the scope further. I haven't tried that yet, but that's always an option with a luggage strap.

I think with things like this, you'll always find a way. Silly little things like the belt on my jeans takes some of the weight when I'm carrying the base as the eyepiece tray is at just the right height to rest on my belt! Sounds silly, but it does help! 

It's a great scope and quick to set and get aligned. I bought mine 2nd hand and I've unfortunately always had problems with the azimuth base motor slipping, jumping and being a pain, despite constant tinkering with the tension screw, but I'm sure you won't have that same problem. I think I've just been unlucky with mine. When it's behaving, as I'm sure yours will, it's a joy to use. An Astrozap light shroud will help with contrast if you can get one of those or something similar.

I'm thinking about changing scopes soon due to the constant problems I've had with my base motor, but it hasn't put me off going for something even larger.

Best of luck with it if you do go for it.

• Thanks 1

Great scope, many nights of enjoyment. Does need a shroud (mine's a yoga may) and I made it a trolley platform to wheel it out onto the terrace. No need to remove the OTA from the base then.