NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help/Advice First time imaging with software with N.I.N.A setting up tonight

After a month of pure rain there is finally a break in the clouds tonight to try out my new camera the asi533. I have ascom and my equiptment is set up, I know how to guide, I don't know how to platesolve but I'm going to have to try that tonight as well as imaging with my camera. I've only used dslr's so this is a big thing for me. I've already set up my profile with Nina and know how to cool the camera. What I don't know is how to actually start imaging, I don't want to waste anytime figuring stuff out whilst I'm out there, dark skies are very limited this time of year.

• What do I do after equipment setup, connect cameras/mount and polar align? 
  • Do I need to do a sequence before I'm ready to start taking exposures?
  • What is the best way to take a single exposure so I can see that the camera is working and I can see the stars and target, can I see them live without taking exposures?
  • Does plate solving come before sequencing?

Thanks

Consider Astro Photography Tool to run the show.

I have never used NINA myself as APT is just the best IMHO but if you've successfully imaged with a DSLR then use the same methodology with your new camera.

Should not be significantly different. Good luck.

Gerr.

10 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Consider Astro Photography Tool to run the show.

I have never used NINA myself as APT is just the best IMHO but if you've successfully imaged with a DSLR then use the same methodology with your new camera.

Should not be significantly different. Good luck.

Gerr.

I've never connected the dslr to a laptop, software is a completely new field to me, I only know how to polar assist on sharpcap. I have atp but it's not free

You don’t have to set up a sequence in NINA to capture images.
You would use platesolving to sync your mount on the sky and centre the object, but as dark sky time is scarce now I would leave this for another time. 
Just set the image tab to loop and tick the save option when you are ready to collect subs. As you would with the DSLR use short exposures to centre your object and to focus.

Best of luck

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

I've never connected the dslr to a laptop, software is a completely new field to me, I only know how to polar assist on sharpcap. I have atp but it's not free

Oh - I use APT free - thought it was still the case (has caption ‘donate 18.42 euros if you like it’ on it’s front loading screen).

It controls your camera, mount, image sequencing - plate solves plus many more useful functions as a fully automated process (it will automatically meridian flip your scope too). It is fully compatible with PHD2 and sky charts like Cartes du Ciel for directing telescope at your target and keeping it there while you watch TV.

I wouldn’t use anything else now.

Cables - EqDirect and USB hub connected to laptop is a must but bye bye Synscan Handheld control which becomes obsolete.

Look into it and save yourself a headache from other options. Once you set it up you’ll never look back.

Gerr.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use NINA and rate it very highly. I normally use the following method (from memory). Connect all equipment up and power on. Start cartes du ceil.  Connect all to nina. Ensure eqmod is tracking. Take sample image using the imaging tab to check for focus. Do a plate solve and sync coordinates to mount. Use ninas sky atlas to find suitable target and add it to a sequence. Go to the sequence tab, set how many frames to take and exposure length an hit start sequence.  Mine then slews to target and platesolves automatically until target is centred (the accuracy of this can be adjusted) WAITS 10 secs for telescope to settle and then starts guiding and takes the required number of images. I normally then switch to the imaging tab so I can see the images as they come in.

Once you've used it a few times nina becomes second nature in its use.

• Thanks 1

Same as what @dark knight says. I've used APT before and it's great too but that's not what you asked.... NINA and APT are very equivalent.

You will need to set up your equipment profile under Options-Equipment and especially camera pixel size and telescope focal length (including any focal reducer if using). Plate solving won't work if these are not correct. Also check that Auto Meridian Flip is disabled before you start but I think that's the default. You'll have enough to worry about without the mount going walk-about mid sequence.

My routine is:
- connect the camera and start it cooling.
- connect all other equipment and unpark the mount.
- select a target. This can be done in Sky Atlas, Framing Assistant, or Sequence tab; or you can import the coordinates of the currently selected object from your planetarium software (I use Stellarium)
- add a sequence which can be as simple as a single image. You can 'Replace as Sequence' from the Framing Assistant.
- I select Start Guiding, Slew to Target, Centre Target (which is plate solving), and Autofocus On Start and On Filter Change
- Hit Go. I also like to switch to the Imaging tab and watch things progressing.

The sequence will start by slewing, plate solving and centering (and focus if you're autofocusing) before starting to image.

You can, as @tomato says above, forget about all of this ; go to the Imaging tool on the Imaging tab, set your parameters and hit Go.

For platesolving, you choose two from a number of tools, one as Plan A and one as Plan B if Plan A fails. (Options-Plate Solving, Plate Solver and Blind Solver). I generally use Platesolve2 and ASTAP, but have also used ASTAP and astrometry.net. astrometry.net will solve a picture of a thorny bush but it can take a few minutes as it's a web service. PS2 and ASTAP are usually very reliable. You  will need to install platesolve2 and ASTAP separately beforehand, including their star databases.

It will probably take you a few sessions to get comfortable with all of this and make it second nature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Same as what @dark knight says. I've used APT before and it's great too but that's not what you asked.... NINA and APT are very equivalent.

You will need to set up your equipment profile under Options-Equipment and especially camera pixel size and telescope focal length (including any focal reducer if using). Plate solving won't work if these are not correct. Also check that Auto Meridian Flip is disabled before you start but I think that's the default. You'll have enough to worry about without the mount going walk-about mid sequence.

My routine is:
- connect the camera and start it cooling.
- connect all other equipment and unpark the mount.
- select a target. This can be done in Sky Atlas, Framing Assistant, or Sequence tab; or you can import the coordinates of the currently selected object from your planetarium software (I use Stellarium)
- add a sequence which can be as simple as a single image. You can 'Replace as Sequence' from the Framing Assistant.
- I select Start Guiding, Slew to Target, Centre Target (which is plate solving), and Autofocus On Start and On Filter Change
- Hit Go. I also like to switch to the Imaging tab and watch things progressing.

The sequence will start by slewing, plate solving and centering (and focus if you're autofocusing) before starting to image.

You can, as @tomato says above, forget about all of this ; go to the Imaging tool on the Imaging tab, set your parameters and hit Go.

For platesolving, you choose two from a number of tools, one as Plan A and one as Plan B if Plan A fails. (Options-Plate Solving, Plate Solver and Blind Solver). I generally use Platesolve2 and ASTAP, but have also used ASTAP and astrometry.net. astrometry.net will solve a picture of a thorny bush but it can take a few minutes as it's a web service. PS2 and ASTAP are usually very reliable. You  will need to install platesolve2 and ASTAP separately beforehand, including their star databases.

It will probably take you a few sessions to get comfortable with all of this and make it second nature.

already comfortable, astap always fails so astronomy.ne is used. i need to find out why its not working because portable setup = no internet

6 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

already comfortable, astap always fails so astronomy.ne is used. i need to find out why its not working because portable setup = no internet

Do you have astap set up ok in NINA as mine works great?

BTW the image below is from my main laptop rather than the one that actually connects to the kit. On that one I think I also have the local platesover setup with an astap DB that's locally installed too.

nina.PNG

Edited by scotty38

17 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Do you have astap set up ok in NINA as mine works great?

I have it connected yes, but i've never actually went onto the astap program, do i need to do something there? i also have plate solve 2

astap.png

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72

8 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

I have it connected yes, but i've never actually went onto the astap program, do i need to do something there? i also have plate solve 2

astap.png

As dark knight says too, Astap will work as you have it but I think if you download the databases you can have it work as a local install too ie no internet connection.

• Like 1

Definitely simplify to get started; open the ASTAP programme locally, and make sure it's working there before trying it from NINA. Do you have a sample file to test? FITS files will already have object coordinates, focal length etc. in the header. For other file formats, you'll need to enter the rough RA and Dec coordinates manually in ASTAP. You might also need to enter the field of view in the Stack dialog - Alignment tab. 

There are good instructions here from the author:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/670806-astap-settings/ 

If it doesn't work locally, it won't work in NINA. If it works locally but not in NINA, then issues could be
- is the path correct?
- are the start coordinates and the radius size close enough?
- is the image too big or too small? (adjust the downsample factor). When it fails from NINA, there is often some detail in the failure message that can be easy to miss.

Bear in mind that ASTAP can blind solve if you don't give it coordinates, and give a 180 degree radius, it will just take longer.

• Thanks 1

NINA Sky Atlas is different to ASTAP. You need to install the star databases separately after you've installed ASTAP. The databases are available on the ASTAP download page. I think H17 is that basic one; I've checked my install and I'm using G17 which looks like an older version.... not 100% on that so read the installation instructions.

If you look in the ASTAP install directory (\Programme Files\ASTAP for me) you should see all of the database files as well as the astap executables.

image.png.e146404bc6c3bdb8200344ad78ce9250.png

• Thanks 2