NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lenses for Canon EOS 70D

Steve143

I've just bought a second-hand Canon EOS 70D (body only) and looking for a recommendation for lenses. This is my first DSLR camera for astrophotography and I'm planning to use it on a separate imaging rig (not through my telescope, for now). I plan to use it mainly for deep sky objects, but also for lunar and planetary imaging. What would you recommend as a good all-round first lense, and for deep sky objects specifically? 

Thank you in advance.  

If you're after a budget option for deep-sky, see if you can find a good 200mm f4 FD lens on eBay, and pick up an FD-EF adapter while you're at it. The throw on the focus wheel is huge, it's a dinky little lens, the built-in hood is awesome - I usually stop mine down to f5.6 to tone down the CA for astro, though happily shoot with it wide-open daytime. Considering you can find them for £20-30 they're a bargain.

Edited by Tim C
  • Like 2

Hi Steve, Its a difficult choice with so many lenses out there but for starters the 50mm f/1.8 STM is good for the price, after that you get into serous money with the likes of the Samyang 14mm/28mm/135mm which are very good for AP.

You can also get good results with the standard kit lenses or push the boat out a bit for the 70-200mm f/4 L lens which is reasonably priced second hand from WEX or MPB photographic.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 2

On 10/05/2021 at 20:31, Tim C said:

If you're after a budget option for deep-sky, see if you can find a good 200mm f4 FD lens on eBay, and pick up an FD-EF adapter while you're at it. The throw on the focus wheel is huge, it's a dinky little lens, the built-in hood is awesome - I usually stop mine down to f5.6 to tone down the CA for astro, though happily shoot with it wide-open daytime. Considering you can find them for £20-30 they're a bargain.

if I remember correctly, FD lenses on EOS bodies are problematic, because adding a glassless adapter means these lenses become myopic, while a typical FE-EOS adapter with a corrective lens does worsen the optical quality (FD lenses have 42mm backfocus, while EF lenses have 44mm). If you check the list at the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance  you can see why you can mount Nikon lenses to Canon EOS bodies but not the reverse without a lens correction.

To the OP: there are many nice manual focus lenses for Canon mount like the Samyang/Rokinon/etc lenses (the 85mm/1.8 and 135mm/2 are big favorites of astrophotographers). From the Canon EF range, the 50mm/1.8, 85mm/1.8, 135mm/2, 200mm/2.8, 300mm/4L and 400mm/5.6L might be useful to you (and usable in regular photography, too). The newer, image-stabilizer editions aren't required for astrophotography.

N.F.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nfotis said:

if I remember correctly, FD lenses on EOS bodies are problematic, because adding a glassless adapter means these lenses become myopic, while a typical FE-EOS adapter with a corrective lens does worsen the optical quality (FD lenses have 42mm backfocus, while EF lenses have 44mm). If you check the list at the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance  you can see why you can mount Nikon lenses to Canon EOS bodies but not the reverse without a lens correction.

To the OP: there are many nice manual focus lenses for Canon mount like the Samyang/Rokinon/etc lenses (the 85mm/1.8 and 135mm/2 are big favorites of astrophotographers). From the Canon EF range, the 50mm/1.8, 85mm/1.8, 135mm/2, 200mm/2.8, 300mm/4L and 400mm/5.6L might be useful to you (and usable in regular photography, too). The newer, image-stabilizer editions aren't required for astrophotography.

N.F.

Thanks for the information! I've bought a Canon EF 50mm/1.8 to get started and will look to see what other lenses are useful once I know what I can and can't do with the 50mm - once the skies clear! 

7 hours ago, nfotis said:

N.F.

Good point, I did forget to mention with mirrored DSLRs you do need to use an adapter with a corrector lens included to reach infinity focus - there is a slight degradation but it's negligible considering the money spent in my opinion! I have my mirrorless hat on most of the time nowadays, no need for a corrector lens. I just like to sing the FD praises when I get the opportunity, I really was very surprised at the image quality for the outlay

1 hour ago, Tim C said:

Good point, I did forget to mention with mirrored DSLRs you do need to use an adapter with a corrector lens included to reach infinity focus - there is a slight degradation but it's negligible considering the money spent in my opinion! I have my mirrorless hat on most of the time nowadays, no need for a corrector lens. I just like to sing the FD praises when I get the opportunity, I really was very surprised at the image quality for the outlay

Depends on the flange distance. If your dSLR has larger flange distance than, say, Nikon F, then adding a X amount of distance doesn't cause a focus problem.

Mirrorless cameras don't have a problem with flange distance and needed optical correction lenses, but you have other problems like body-lens electronic communication (of course, Canon and Nikon have built adapters for attaching their dSLR lenses to the respective mirrorless bodies).

N.F.

4 hours ago, Steve143 said:

Thanks for the information! I've bought a Canon EF 50mm/1.8 to get started and will look to see what other lenses are useful once I know what I can and can't do with the 50mm - once the skies clear! 

I suggest that you play with the field of view calculator, to get an idea (select "Imaging Mode", then your target, eg M31 Andromeda, then a lens/scope and a camera, then press "Add View"):

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

A 50mm lens should be a nice general purpose lens, suitable for half body portraits (my favourite is the 85mm/1.8, since it offers a tighter headshot).

With a 400/5.6L you get a tight framing of Andromeda galaxy, to give you a sense of perspective. And a nice view of M45 Pleiades.

Enjoy your photographic journey,

N.F.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve143 said:

I also first started with the Canon EF50/f1.8 ("nifty-fifty"). Certainly not a bad lens for the price, especially if you stop it down to at least f2.8. On a crop camera you can nicely fit in Orion (like https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20200227_204500_9630d0caf2b7941a - a bit late for this year unfortunately) and you can get some nice views of the Milky Way (like this in Cygnus https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/18048-milky-way-in-cygnus/ - not long to wait for that). 

• Like 2

This Lens  might suit your needs, good people to deal with, I have bought several items from LCE with no problems.

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Sigma-105mm-F2.8-O/S-HSM-Canon-fit_300227.html

Another one from Wexphoto.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sigma-105mm-f2-8-ex-dg-macro-canon-fit-used-1778658/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sigma-105mm-f2-8-ex-dg-macro-canon-fit-used-1779083/

Edited by Soligor Rob
more information
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve143 said:

I completely forgot to say - great choice. The nifty fifty is the first lens anyone should buy for their DSLR, and the Canon version is frankly ridiculous for the the price. My only contribution on that particular beauty would be to set your f-stop to around the 2.8 mark. As tempting as it might be to shoot wide open, with this particular lens, you will see a real benefit in sharpness by going just a few stops lower. Happy hunting and congrats on your acquisition 👏

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tim C said:

I completely forgot to say - great choice. The nifty fifty is the first lens anyone should buy for their DSLR, and the Canon version is frankly ridiculous for the the price. My only contribution on that particular beauty would be to set your f-stop to around the 2.8 mark. As tempting as it might be to shoot wide open, with this particular lens, you will see a real benefit in sharpness by going just a few stops lower. Happy hunting and congrats on your acquisition 👏

Thanks Tim. I'm just waiting for some clear skies so I can give it a go!