Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew/Frost and laptops

I've had a couple of bad experiences this last winter with my MacBook Pro: batteries don't like low temperatures. They get drained quickly and I believe it affects their lifespan. 

If you use the laptop with the power cable plugged, I don't think you have any problem (apart from your frozen hands). 

• Thanks 1

I bought a "tent" covering for mine that has really saved me a few times. It has a zip up front so when im not looking at the screen, the laptop is completly covered. Never had any problem with dew even when the whole scope was covered in frost.

Just also cut a couple of small holes on it to allow wires through for USB's and also leave a cloth ontop of the keyboard as well to help hold its temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

I bought a "tent" covering for mine that has really saved me a few times. It has a zip up front so when im not looking at the screen, the laptop is completly covered. Never had any problem with dew even when the whole scope was covered in frost.

Just also cut a couple of small holes on it to allow wires through for USB's and also leave a cloth ontop of the keyboard as well to help hold its temperature.

Image result for Walimex Pop-Up 50cm Laptop Tent Super - Black

Something like this ?

Looks like a good idea.

It is a good idea to have some form of insulation. Not necessarily 100% wrap.
Bear in mind the laptop is intended for use at 20C-25C.
So sitting it on (for example) a towel, or foam, or polystyrene isn't going to risk overheating.
Add insulation on the lid, so it is behind the screen. That will help keep this area warm.

Condensation and cold batteries are your enemies. Though lithium (not NiCd) is far better for low temperature performance.

When you finish, leave the computer running, generating heat, when you go indoors.
That way you minimise risk of lots of condensation on circuit boards and components.

OK if you have had your computer at -10C and you go indoors to find someone has used the tumble drier unvented, it won't be enough.

But for the 'average' home you should be OK.

I have seen computer screens with frost and condensation in the layers between front glass and screen innards. They still worked and dried out when used in a warmer room.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Astro Noodles said:

Something like this ?

Looks like a good idea.

Yep, basically! I would look for one with a zip up front so that you can keep the warmer air trapped in with the laptop but thats the idea :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Noodles said:

Hi

Does anyone use a laptop outside to control their imaging sessions? If so, do you have problems with dew and/or frost? Is it detrimental to the laptop? And how do you overcome the problem?

TBH I don’t have a PC outside.

I generally have used stick PCs, or, more recently I got an ASIAir, connected to my WiFi.

Both options run sufficiently warm to prevent dew build up.

I’ll take a tablet out to do polar alignment, but that’s it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iapa said:

TBH I don’t have a PC outside.

I generally have used stick PCs, or, more recently I got an ASIAir, connected to my WiFi.

Both options run sufficiently warm to prevent dew build up.

I’ll take a tablet out to do polar alignment, but that’s it.

Yeah, I think that ASIair, Wifi and tablet is the way to go. But that's some way off for me yet. Recycling tub with holes cut in may be a cheaper option for the short term.