NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

flocking Helios 200p flocking collimating, and flocking flocking

Hi chaps - er new to this collimating lark. I bought a svbony laser collimator and it shows it's well off - reflected laser not even hitting target !

But my old Helios just seems to have fixed philips screws in base and base sides ? The spider has adjusatable knobs though. I'm assuming the primary locking screws are under the bottom and it's a base plate cover thing ?

Am I likely to be able to do a decent job with this laser ? I'm not looking for perfection, and I figured it'd be easier than a cheshire thing. But I don't want to spent hours faffing about and failing only to then ask on here and be told I was wasting my time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescope-Collimator-Bysameyee-Calibrator-Collimation/dp/B07J5WBG4K/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07J5WBG4K&psc=1

Second thing is, as I'm going to flock about with it (yes.. it is the cheap pun you suspected), is it worth me just taking the spider off and flocking the inside ? It is painted black, so is there really much gain in flocking it ?

Lastly.. it's pretty old, and been sitting in someones loft for years - the main mirror is pretty dusty and one big (im hoping) hair rather than scratch visible - if I take it apart and carefully wash it (following you tube videos - distilled water, etc) am I likely to get it back together again, or am I best leaving that alone ?

cheers

stu

p.s. ignore mental 3 in one mount - that's coming off and putting a top dovetail on and will mount stuff to that.

IMG_20210427_113414.jpg

IMG_20210427_113419.jpg

IMG_20210427_113439.jpg

Edited by powerlord
adding pics

In random order 

if you are happy to take your time, it all goes back as it came apart, carefully

It would be worth putting a little mark on the table so you can line up the rear cell 

put all bolts nut in some order showing how you toke them off

video helps refresh from memory when reassembling.

Astronomyshed did some videos disassembling reflectors and reassembling, including one “Lasers Lie” covering collimation of your Collimation.

• Like 1

Collimation is a very simple process made complicated by the number of variables involved and exacerbated by conflicting advice.

Its a personal thing in terms of the tools you decide to use and the guide you follow. 

I use a collimation cap and a Cheshire and a combination of advice and published guides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

wow - that will be a yes then. 😀

I also did the focuser tube as well while it was in bits.

Spray a drop of soapy water in a spray bottle before placing the material, whatever your using but assuming self adhesive, it gives you a few seconds to move it about and get it placed and any bubble out before it glues to much. And hoover it when it's dry, you don't want any loose flock to fall on your mirror when you've put it back together.

One last tip, make sure to put markers on your mirror cell and ota to match up when you put the cell back. It needs to go back in the same position. I just put a bit of tape on mine, think its still there.

If you don't want to go the fully flocked tube route right away, flock just the side of the tube directly opposite the focuser so the secondary mirror image is surrounded by a nice, non-reflective surface as seen from the focuser tube.

I did it! took it all to bit, flocked the lot, cleaned the mirrors, put it all back together and laser aligned it. I don't think the laser is exactly wonderful as if I rotate the thing in the 1.25 holder the laser goes from centre, to 1/2 outside edge.. but rolling it on a bit of glass and it seems steady... so who knows.

it's a heck of a lot better probably than it was though - at first the laser was hitting about 3" out from the centre of the primary! never mind the return path.

• Like 1