Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Troublesome doubles to the left of Auriga

Spile

For some reason, I decided to target a number of doubles to the left of Auriga.

I thought I would start with Mahasim (Theta Auriga) but that wasn't easy and I was unable to split it so then I moved left. I did manage to get STF872 and an unusual yellow and lime green. A good 4*.

I then lacked any bright pointers between Mahasim and Theta Gemini and over a few days kept failing to get my targets. I succeeded on the fourth attempt thanks to UU Auriga. A tangerine 5.5 Mg beacon in a myriad of  7th magnitude stars. I was so impressed with it, I found out more about this carbon star later.

Thanks to my finder and UU Auriga, I was finally able to see the inverted house asterism of 5 stars. From UU Aur, I went clockwise round the "house"...

First stop STF 928 a 4* (7+8 Mag) supposedly W+W but Y+Y to me.

Then Otto Struve 147. Very confusing as it was not what I was expecting but a very wide (Mag 7+9+9) triple. Y+B+B to me and 3*

Ending up at the top of the house was STF 929 (Mag 7 + 8 ) and very nice 4* Y+BG 

Then moving west, Psi5 (Dolones V) was much brighter (a wide Y+B) 4*

As I had done so well in one session, I went back to Theta Auriga and managed to split it. A hard (Mg 3+3) BW+BW 3*

auriga1.jpg

auriga2.jpg

• Like 7

Yo.  Great views !

θ Aurigae is challenging , best view I had was with Patbloke's 120 Equinox. Just a big marble and a clear small marble. Needs not only great seeing , but great Optics !

Σ872 is a great sight at x50. UU is a great carbon feast !

Σ928 is coupled with ΟΣ147 , giving a quite wide triple and a binary , cool ! Σ929 gives a light orange colour in small scopes.

Ψ5 Aurigae aka 56 Aurigae gives great contrast to the secondary.

well caught in this packed binary area , careful now , Nick.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spile said:

For some reason, I decided to target a number of doubles to the left of Auriga.

I thought I would start with Mahasim (Theta Auriga) but that wasn't easy and I was unable to split it so then I moved left. I did manage to get STF872 and an unusual yellow and lime green. A good 4*.

I then lacked any bright pointers between Mahasim and Theta Gemini and over a few days kept failing to get my targets. I succeeded on the fourth attempt thanks to UU Auriga. A tangerine 5.5 Mg beacon in a myriad of  7th magnitude stars. I was so impressed with it, I found out more about this carbon star later.

Thanks to my finder and UU Auriga, I was finally able to see the inverted house asterism of 5 stars. From UU Aur, I went clockwise round the "house"...

First stop STF 928 a 4* (7+8 Mag) supposedly W+W but Y+Y to me.

Then Otto Struve 147. Very confusing as it was not what I was expecting but a very wide (Mag 7+9+9) triple. Y+B+B to me and 3*

Ending up at the top of the house was STF 929 (Mag 7 + 8 ) and very nice 4* Y+BG 

Then moving west, Psi5 (Dolones V) was much brighter (a wide Y+B) 4*

As I had done so well in one session, I went back to Theta Auriga and managed to split it. A hard (Mg 3+3) BW+BW 3*

auriga1.jpg

auriga2.jpg

If you are using a keyboard press alt and 0176 this will give you a degree symbol I will have to check my Auriga notes to see if I have ever got some of those.

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

If you are using a keyboard press alt and 0176 this will give you a degree symbol

I should clarify.

The 3* . 4* is the rating system I use and not related to the position angle of the double/primary which I don't record.

• Like 1