Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Watcher Evostar 150ED

Soligor Rob

Can I ask those of you to measure the thickness of the felt in the Clamping Rings, I have just bought a new Evostar 150Ed from Flo and the scope just slips freely through the Clamps when they are fully tightened.

Flo are sending me out replacement Clamp rings with what they say has thicker felt, as the felt in mine is 4mm thick I am somewhat concerned as to just how thick this other felt will be, the felt over time will compress and I fear I will be back in the same situation.

Thanks.

Hello

I have a Evostar 150, the non ED version. Not sure if this will help you, the diameter of your tube rings might be different than mine. The felt on mine is <1.5 mm thick, it has compressed over time though but is still holding the tube firmly in the tube rings.

Hope this helps and congrats on the 150ED, im looking to get one when I can.

CS

Glen

Hi Glen, 

Thanks for the reply, the Dia of my Clamp rings fully closed not including the felt is 160mm, I measured the Telescope and the Dia of the tube is 154mm.

The 150ED is a heavy old lump so I 'm quite wary that it needs to be held securely.

If it helps, even as a temporary solution, see this SGL thread, in that I used some wickes furniture pad for oversized rings on my scopes, others used velcro or leather.   Surprised you're still waiting for the felt from FLO - they must be getting it from Skywatcher I suppose, hence the delay.

OOPs - sorry missed the point that FLO are sending replacement rings which you are waiting for - not the felt !!!

Edited by StevieDvd
my error

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

If it helps, even as a temporary solution, see this SGL thread, in that I used some wickes furniture pad for oversized rings on my scopes, others used velcro or leather.   Surprised you're still waiting for the felt from FLO - they must be getting it from Skywatcher I suppose, hence the delay.

Oh fair do's to FLO they sent me some replacement Felt but unfortunately it was a lot thinner than the felt already fitted so of no use at all.

I could pad the Clamp Rings out with extra padding but if anything went wrong and the scope hit the floor because I used a non standard item that might not sit too well warranty wise, so as much as it annoying I can't use the scope I think it prudent that I wait to get the correct setup.

Interesting to not in the thread  the guys are talking 2.5mm to 4mm padding, the felt that came in the set-up for my 150ED is 4mm and the scopes slips through this under it's own weight like a piston in a bore, these clamp rings I would say are just too big a Diameter.

FLO said the Clamp Rings fitted to their other scope was locked tight so I guess they are the ones they are posting out to me, be interesting to see how they fit on my scope and how they differ in size to the rings I have.

Edited by Soligor Rob
more info