NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is a CEM70 enough?

AbsolutelyN

5 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Yes it's a real shame about the price rises, wish I was 12 months earlier on this as its about 1k more now.

Comes down to CEM120 or EQ8-R. Wavering slightly towards the EQ8R despite all the advice to go with the CEM120 because I know I can get parts and support from OVL whereas the iOptron is an unknown quantity in regard to support for any issues that may occur over the years. Feels important as the mount will be permanently covered rather than in a observatory so less protected.  

Friend of mine bought a second-hand eq8 old version.. after a bit of fettling he's more than happy, but he said he would have been just as happy with a cem120.. it's just none popped up for sale and probrably would have been outside his price bracket.. so either way I'm sure either will easily do the job.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want a mount that can take 20kg without breaking a sweat?

And track to sub 0.3" at the same time?

And cost under £2,000?

Look no further! https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=173430

Automation and communication with the latest software might be a fun challenge though... 

I plumped for an EQ6 after a few day's pondering...

Decision made and order placed. 

After much research I just found too many potential issues with the EQ8R ... such as USB hub potentially not working (skywatcher say they'll fix any issues but it does not instil confidence).  If the EQ8R had been a reasonable amount cheaper I'd have gone with it but it actually works out more expensive than the CEM120+Tri-pier once you add the EQ8 tripod. So one CEM120 and Tri-pier ordered from FLO. I expect delivery will be quite some time off however .... 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

So one CEM120 and Tri-pier ordered from FLO.

Excellent! I know the CEM120 is in a different league but I have been delighted with my CEM25. The iOptron Commander software is loads easier to use than EQMOD etc. and it works flawlessly with the ASIair and SkySafari. The only issue I have had, and it is probably entirely down to me being a numpty - or incompetent - is no matter what I do I cannot get Astroberry to work reliably with the mount but that probably won't bother you.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long - I'm sure it will arrive in plenty of time for the next nebula season!

Adrian

2 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Excellent! I know the CEM120 is in a different league but I have been delighted with my CEM25. The iOptron Commander software is loads easier to use than EQMOD etc. and it works flawlessly with the ASIair and SkySafari. The only issue I have had, and it is probably entirely down to me being a numpty - or incompetent - is no matter what I do I cannot get Astroberry to work reliably with the mount but that probably won't bother you.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long - I'm sure it will arrive in plenty of time for the next nebula season!

Adrian

That's great to hear, will certainly be a learning curve as I've never used anything but skywatcher/eqmod. I can't figure out astroberry at all so no worries there. 
My guess/hope is mid summer ... suspect it is the tri-pier that will take longer to arrive than the mount. 

• Like 1