Comet C/2020 R4 (ATLAS)

Located between Hercules and Ophiuchus.

Currently about magnitude 10, this comet is 46 million miles from us and travelling out of the Solar System. It will return in about 957 years!

This was a tricky one to image. The comet is small and faint and also moving rapidly. I had to reduce the exposure time to 30 seconds and increase the gain on the camera.

The star trailing shows the distance the comet moved over 38 minutes.

76 x 30s with no calibration frames.

11" SCT at f6.3, ASI294MC Pro and Optolong L-Pro filter.

c2020_r4_atlas.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, skyhog said:

That's a great shot. I was going to take a look at this the other night but I'd imagine it's a very difficult object visually. 

Thanks! I think it would be a difficult object for visual. 30 second subs were only just showing it in the 11" and it's very small. Any moonlight will also drown it out.

Tony.

15 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

I think I may have caught this in a star trail image using 24 second subs, I cleaned it out in editing of my final image thinking it was erroneous...  I was shooting at 14mm so just a white blob.  Thanks for posting and expanding my knowledge.

Thanks Jody!

Sorry, but I don't think you got the comet. It was only just visible in my 11" SCT at 1700mm, so probably wouldn't be seen in your 14mm lens.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Every day is a school day.  Offending satellite located!

I wouldn't have even thought about a geosynchronous satellite! I normally only pay attention if it moves! 😀

Shame we don't get the Iridium flares anymore, they were fascinating to see, although probably a pain if you were trying to image that part of the sky!

Tony. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Nice one Tony, may have a go at it later when it reaches it's highest spot out of the murk.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Just thought I'd try something different. I don't think the Moon is going to help much though!

Tony.