2021-04-16 - 21% Mosaic, and a little closer

WestCoastCannuck

Not a resounding success....  but I am happy with night.  Frankly, for whatever reason I have NEVER been able to achieve the look I want on these thin ones.   But still I am happy.  Was a nice session.

Was also first light for my new barlow made for me by Harry Siebert of Siebert Optics.  (he is busy!  Took over three months)  It is the last barlow I will ever need for imaging - a modular system comprised of 3 lens cells and several varying spacers.   In its various configurations it achieves the following magnifications - (0.8X, 1.2X, 1.3X, 1.4X, 1.5X, 1.6X, 1.7X, 2X and 2.5X).  He has only made a few of these apparently...  will do a review sometime, but will take a while to try all the ways of using it!   Last night, I did my mosaic at 1.4X...  and some closer work at 2X with it.  

First up a few closer shots with APM140/7  with 2X barlow,  290MM and Baader Green 520nm.  Best 500 of 10000 frames.

689592436_Moon_20_56_57_ZWOASI290MM_16_pipp_lapl6_ap553-F14-best500of10000-VC1VC2-colourize.thumb.jpg.3e9ea567c297833d58776555b85562a9.jpg

1524173052_2021-04-16mnash.thumb.png.3660c89df3fc137b9b9f0c367a561834.png

This following one a 2 piece mosaic with 290 also at 2X (F14)

748725911_Moon_20_49_03_ZWOASI290MM_12_pipp_lapl6_ap409_stitch-500of1000-2X-2panel-500of10000-VC1.thumb.jpg.9dcd47e98d279d4136a01b064054ae0c.jpg

And lastly, my mosaic.  It's three panels with 140 and 1.4X barlow and 183MM camera, each the best 200 of 2000 frames.  Stacked with AS!3, stitched in ICE (second attempt seems good), mild deconvolution and a slight colourize in Astra Image.

1315917096_Moon_20_35_50_ZWOASI183MM_9_pipp_lapl6_ap1405_stitch-3panel-200of2000-ICE2-VC1VC2-colourized.thumb.jpg.44530c43d012486860ba7f1bac7dc03a.jpg

Cheers and clear skies!

Mike

• Like 9

That is great work Mike, I know what you mean about difficulties in getting nice images when the crescent is thin but you've nailed those. Green filter is really allowing the big frac to work it's stuff. 

I have been considering a siebert barlow for a while so will be good to hear about your experience with it.

• Like 1

Very nice Mike, showing quite some resolution there. Excellently processed. Interesting using the Green filter. I always leaned towards red. But i know of some great lunar imagers of days gone by, who also used green filters to good effect. That refractor looks like its doing some seriously detailed work. With your silk touch, a lovely combination.  Also Interesting about the barlow. Look foward to your thoughts about it in the future.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

That is great work Mike, I know what you mean about difficulties in getting nice images when the crescent is thin but you've nailed those. Green filter is really allowing the big frac to work it's stuff. 

I have been considering a siebert barlow for a while so will be good to hear about your experience with it.

Thanks Craig!  Will certainly update as I use it more and more.  I expect most sessions I will try something with it.

10 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Very nice Mike, showing quite some resolution there. Excellently processed. Interesting using the Green filter. I always leaned towards red. But i know of some great lunar imagers of days gone by, who also used green filters to good effect. That refractor looks like its doing some seriously detailed work. With your silk touch, a lovely combination.  Also Interesting about the barlow. Look foward to your thoughts about it in the future.

Thanks Neil!  Yeah...  Lately (last few months) I normally throw green on first and see how it looks.  If I can see sharp frames, I will trust lucky imaging to give me enough - I like the extra contrast green brings to the table.  But...  for the mosaic at least, I wish I had thrown on a red 610 for a comparison run.  It would have critically sampled still, and this time for once, I could have done with a bit LESS contrast!  lol   For contrast and exposure,  all of the photos are straight out of camera - only deconvolution applied.   I tried reducing contrast in post...  but I thought it did not look right and left as is.

Edited by WestCoastCannuck
clarity

5 hours ago, wouterdhoye said:

Great work, thanks for sharing!  Impressively detailed shot especially for a 140mm aperture. 

Thanks Wouter!   Looking great for tonight as well.   Nice to finally have some nice weather!  For the record...  my favourite of these images, and I think the best, is the first.  Due to sharpness wavering in and out, and the long moment arm, was a B**ch to focus.   I think perhaps I was just a tiny bit off on the others, and nailed my very last one.  (the first image posted - at F14)   If I have the time before the moon drops below the big tree behind my house, and the seeing looks good, I may try a mosaic at F14 - should be able to get it in 7 or 8 panels I would think.  (with 290mm)

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Very nice image, I write this during a short break from my session with the moon, fantastic seeing tonight and, earthshine is spectacular.

Thanks sunshine! 😊  And I write this as I capture my last panel of tonight's effort!  Lol