Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon V1

I know there are no such things as stupid questions, but there are always exceptions to rules!
I’m trying to pair a Nikon V1 that as already at home to my Celestron C5. This would only be for some basic imaging of the moon etc as I think you need more substantial mount etc than I currently have (a solid altaz) for anything more substantial. I’ve bought a basic adapter that fits the camera body and allows it to be attached to a 1.25”.

The connection side is fine, but I’m more interested in what I will actually gain (if anything) by attaching the camera to the C5 without any eyepieces (other than the 2 x Barlow I have)? I did say this was probably going to be a stupid question.

D6BF4917-A4D2-4ACE-8B16-3FDCF42C2B0F.jpeg

ACBAD5C7-3F6B-443C-9CA4-A58CEB4300B9.jpeg

Hi

With their lightweight body, cheap availability and sensible back focus, I'm surprised the 1 series hasn't a wider following in astro circles, especially among owners of entry level Newtonian reflectors who quite often give up when confronted with the impossibility of bringing a reflex DSLR to focus.

We only have hands on with a j1, but I'm sure this applies to all 1 series models. Remove the lens, fit the adaptor, attach to the telescope as you would an eyepiece, set the camera to M and that's it. Depending on the focus posición of the C5, you may need a t2 extension tube to reach focus. Moon? Start maybe around 1/500s at ISO100.

We used this adaptor. For non photographic Newtonians, you need this one.

I'd put good money on the images being sharper without the eyepiece;)

Cheers

Edited by alacant

19 hours ago, happy-kat said:

If you are unable to take the lens off your camera then you'll have to shoot through an eyepiece to capture the image the eyepiece shows.

The Nikon 1 series is an interchangeable lens system so the lens will come off no problem. I owned a V1 for about a year and it was a fun little camera. 

• Like 1

I think prime focus astrophotogtraphy where no lenses are involved will usually give better results than the afocal method you've used until now. Also it will be less fiddly because you can simply push the camera and adaptor into the focuser. I've only ever dabbled with afocal but I found it awkward in comparison. 

Give it a go and see what you think :)  

• Like 1