NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another go at IFN around M81/M82

Adreneline

We've had two exceptionally clear nights here (two iss clearly two too many - the clouds are back!) so thought I'd have another go at the IFN in the vicinity of M81 & M82.

This is 20 x 300s + 20 x 180s using my ASI294MC + Samyang 135mm - unguided.

2097050405_IFN_4_ABEHTLHEHDRMEZsr_AP_SCNR.thumb.jpg.7355f2ea0744ed96d23a1f848587e605.jpg

The image is totally processed in PI except for a final cosmetic use of the Affinity Burn Tool to address the overexposure in M81 and M82.

I'm thinking about pairing the ASI294MC with my Samyang 85mm to see what that will produce - just need another clear night.

Thank you for looking.

As always C&C welcome.

Adrian

• Like 17

1 minute ago, clarkpm4242 said:

You should add a link to your first attempt.  This is a huge improvement.  Very nice!

Thank you! I think the extremely clear conditions made all the difference - and the fact it is pretty dark round here (Bortle 3).

Adrian

8 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you Francis.

I know the 294/135 is massively oversampled but sometimes you have to focus on the big picture ;) 

Adrian

Seeing your image I'm just setting up a sequence in SGP for my 85mm f2.8 and ASI533 combination....

• Like 1

Impressive image Adrian. 🙂 I took a similar view with two clear nights last week, though about half your FOV. I took over 5 hours of luminence with a FLT98 and ASI6200MM at sky SQM 21.6 . The second night I was going to take R, G and B, but stacking the first nights it was still pretty noisy so I took more L, and at the same time took colour via an ASI071MC on a WO ZS61. Adding the colour to the L, registered with Registar just gave stars with coloured halos and more noise so the L on its own is better.

I also found that using Startools to process it would give a very noisy background and/or stars with large halos despite trying various ROI for develop. A simple levels and curves in Photoshop seemed to give a more pleasing picture.

I was wondering if you'd like to give a go at using PI to process my L image and see how it fares. I'll start another thread for that as I don't want to take over yours. 😀 Also anyone else with Startools could maybe do a better job than me. 😁

Alan 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

That's fantastic Arian, really well done. 

Thank you Tristan.

It came out better than I expected but still plenty of "room for improvement" me thinks - the story of my life!

Adrian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, symmetal said:

I was wondering if you'd like to give a go at using PI to process my L image and see how it fares. I'll start another thread for that as I don't want to take over yours. 😀 Also anyone else with Startools could maybe do a better job than me. 😁

Hi Alan,

Thank you.

Well I would be very happy to have a go but there are others on this forum with far more skill than me at this IFN stuff.

Maybe if you open a thread in the Image Processing forum I'm sure plenty will be up for having a go.

Adrian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Alan,

Thank you.

Well I would be very happy to have a go but there are others on this forum with far more skill than me at this IFN stuff.

Maybe if you open a thread in the Image Processing forum I'm sure plenty will be up for having a go.

Adrian

Yes, thanks, that's a good idea, a challenge for all. 😀

Alan

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Thats a lot of fluff Adrian.

Great capture.

Thanks Mick.

I was pleased with how much IFN was revealed - I am sure it was all down to the exceptionally clear conditions.

Adrian