Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leo Triplet

Adreneline

This is 40 x 120s using my ASI294MC and StellaLyra 6" RC unguided on my iOptron CEM25-EC. For whatever reason I struggled to get balance in DEC last night but that said the tracking still held up even though I am pushing this mount toward its weight limit.

Leo_Triplet_294_RC-PI.thumb.jpg.85f8b28376ca6b25010df9b7d985a055.jpg

Totally processed in PI from start to finish.

I'm still learning how to process OSC - it's a tricky business.

As always C&C welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Cracking image Adrian. I can't believe you're doing these unguided and getting such great results, I don't think I'd even dare attempt without. 

Thank you Tristan.

I'm sure the accurate PA with the Polemaster helps and being really careful with the balance, although I just could not get it to balance perfectly in DEC last night. When I get it right the mount is absolutely silent in operation, unlike when I try to guide when it is clicking away like mad all the time - sounds like it's fighting with itself.

The dark skies here help a lot.

Adrian

45 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

This is 40 x 120s using my ASI294MC and StellaLyra 6" RC unguided on my iOptron CEM25-EC.

Fantastic Adrian.  Just 80 minutes too, wow.  Is that at native FL or did you have a reducer on?  Great colour and details too.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Fantastic Adrian.  Just 80 minutes too, wow.  Is that at native FL or did you have a reducer on?  Great colour and details too.

Thank you Lee.

I had the reducer on so the effective fl was 1070mm according to the ASIair. I usually use Affinity to draw out colours but this time I decided to stick with PI - still struggle to get the blues though. I focussed with the BM last night but then refined the focus with the vanes on the scope which helped with the detail.

I imaged right up to the flip but then couldn't be bothered to realign and get some more - it was too cold! I'm always reluctant to do a flip (attended or unattended) with the RC on the mount - if it goes pear shaped the imaging train will definitely hit the tripod.

Thanks again.

Adrian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

I focussed with the BM last night but then refined the focus with the vanes on the scope which helped with the detail.

Thanks Adrian, just to clarify, do you mean trying to get the spikes as thin as possible on stars?

2 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

if it goes pear shaped the imaging train will definitely hit the tripod.

I noticed how close mine was to the tripod during a flip during my recent captures.  Two nights I babysat it and the third night I let it do its thing (viewed via security cam).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Thanks Adrian, just to clarify, do you mean trying to get the spikes as thin as possible on stars?

Yes. Having got the best position with the BM it was apparant there was still room for improvement with the vane diffraction spikes. I'm focussing manually as I haven't got around to fitting a focus motor as yet although I have got a 3D printed bracket to attach the SW motor to the Baader Steeltrack.

Adrian

• Thanks 1