NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Daytime Imaging of Jupiter and Saturn

Mikey0368

Do any of you have any experience of imaging Jupiter and Saturn during the day? They're sitting nicely for me at about 9 - 10am at the moment and I thought I would have a go. Any tips would be appreciated.

I'll be using an 8" classical cassegrain and ZWO ASI224MC with an IR 850nm Pass filter. Capture software will be FireCapture.

Thanks.

Your first challenge will be aligning your scope and finding these planets in the narrow FOV of an ASI224mc and then tracking, them (unless you align during dark when you can see stars). A solar system alignment is possible using the Sun, but take care to use an appropriate filter. 

I have recently witnessed somebody capturing the bright core of M81 at a fairly bright dawn to complete a Messier Marathon. Jupiter and Saturn ought to be easier. But I suspect all that you might capture is a white disc of reflected sunlight. If any camera will succeed, the fast frame ASI224 is perhaps tje most likely. Higher specification more sensitive cameras  might just over expose. But I am curious enough to attempt this myself! 

I’m afraid that you won’t be able to see them. Their surface magnitude (as opposed to their total magnitude) is so low (barely brighter, possibly even lower, than the daytime sky magnitude) that you won’t see them. I’ve viewed them both before sunset, but opposite the sun and with a darkening sky, and even then they were so faint and diffuse you could barely see them. I’ve seen Sirius in broad daylight, but that’s an intense point source. 

Now, with them being close to the sun in a bright sky you don’t stand much of a chance. However, feel free to prove me wrong!

I'd have to agree with the last poster. I was observing them both during the recent conjunction when they were setting in the evening twilight. That was with low power and they were very difficult to find in a bright sky. I have a permanent setup but think getting it on the chip would be the hardest part. No harm trying though.... 

I think it would be quite easy to image provided you can get on target, I remember shooting daylight flats once and forgot the "tee shirt" over the lens and had lots and lots of stars captured in the image.

Alan

Saturn didn't come out too well and I'm still fiddling with that, but Jupiter is at least recognisable! Image taken at about 9.45am.

It's an experiment I'm unlikely to repeat though.

Jup_094304_lapl5_ap8-1a.jpg

Edited by Mikey0368
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...