NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first attempt webcaming through my new dob!

irishbloke

I decided to have a go webcaming venus through my skyliner 250px. I now realise it's hard enough to do but possible. I had thought I had to use the barlow like I had with my 130pm, to acheive focus. I was trying this first and it was frustrating. :scratch: Then I decided to try the prime focus, doh should have tried that first, and it worked well. This is some of my results:

and
:)

I hope to take another clip later in the month to compare how the phases have changed.

It was a pity I couldn't get K3tools to work as I had to use the vlounge software that came with the philips spc900. I don't think the result is as accessiable for processing. I've been trying to download the new K3 tools but I keep getting an error message that the setup file is currupted. :(

Any ideas on how to process the clips appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

As I had used vlounge software that the webcam had come with registax wouldn't work at first. But I've been looking through the forum and found a thread saying handbrake software might convert it to something usable. This didn't work out for me as registax still wouldn't recognise it. Another post recommended virtualdub which has worked out great. So I'll have a play with registax.

Many thanks :(

Brian

Does VLounge capture in avi format? If not you might have to find one of the freebie capture apps, craterlet is pretty good.

I think it's an mpeg file, but I was able to convert it using virtualdub. Then registax did some stacking. I had a light blue and infrared filter on the web cam to take some glare off. I wasn't expecting to see any colour or detail.

Just used the astro capture software tonight. It's fantastic. Really easy to use. I loved the ability to adjust the exposure times and settings. I realise now my first attempt was a bit over exposed. Tonights attempt should show the cresent better.

Working on the end product and will post. Thanks

Hi

Managed this tonight: 2iawivb.jpg

Astrocapture rocks!!! :(

Question as I'm using a untracking mount I brought venus back into view each time. it left. Registax doesn't recognise venus when it comes back into view. can I get it to recognise the the returning planet?

Thanks

Hey thats pretty good!

Im not sure about registax, but with K3CCD you can select each frame you want and get rid of the frames that are no good. I gave up with Registax when it kept crashing, and find K3 to be more user friendly.

Thinking back, isn't there a way to set the size of the search box to recognise the targets in registax??

Question as I'm using a untracking mount I brought venus back into view each time. it left. Registax doesn't recognise venus when it comes back into view. can I get it to recognise the the returning planet?

I haven't used Registax recently but I remember the frustration factor when I had an undriven mount and couldn't get Registax to recognise the planet for long. Luckily there's an alternative these days: avistack (google it). I haven't used it but it may be an improvement, in your case.

Also have a look at ninox http://www.acquerra.com.au/astro/software/ppmcentre/ . It doesn't stack but it centres planet-like "things" on the frame, perhaps making registax/avistack's job easier.

Not really. Used a few commands but not much. so I copy the zipped files into the windows folder. Meanwhile I have to save each image file separately as oposed to in an avi file. What do I use to separate the images?

To be honest a step by step guide would be much appreciated!!! :(

Thanks very much for your help.

Brian

Hi

Managed this tonight: 2iawivb.jpg

Astrocapture rocks!!! :(

Thanks

That's a great one. :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm dead excited by the possibilities :wave: , but my wife's not :nono: . Spending too much time on pc!!!

Thermos I managed to do something with Ninox. How do I remake the avi file for registax processing?

Thanks

Managed to get the Ninox working. Played with another command line program easybmptoavi to try to get it back to AVI. Havent managed that yet, but as you said Registax could handle the bmps, just not more than 900 frames. I resized it to 200%. This is it:

333cscz.jpg

10/2/09

Brian

Archived