Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alt-Az mount for TOA-130F

Nikodemuzz

I´m contemplating getting an alt-az mount for my Takahashi TOA-130F (still can´t believe I´m saying that). I already have a CEM60, which I´m planning to put on a pier for a semi-permanent imaging setup. For the times I´m imaging with other equipment, or I would like to take the scope to a darker site to enjoy visual observation, a simpler mounting solution that doesn´t require power seems tempting to me. I thoroughly appreciate the bells and whistles that along with modern software makes astronomy (especially imaging) far easier than it used to be. Having said that, occasionally I do enjoy just pushing all that aside and spending some time with only a scope and a star chart. By doing that I also hope to get to know my new lifetime companion in the Takahashi a bit better, and form a relationship of sorts with it. Sounds very corny, but I hope you understand... 🤓

On the Cloudy Nights forums many seem to use Discmounts DM6, and some discontinued models like T-Rex and Half/Nova Hitch. FLO seems to sell a Rowan mount, which looks very nice. What options do I have for the TOA? I wouldn´t mind finding something cheaper than DM6 or Rowan, but the TOA is quite a handful and requires a substantial mount. Reasonably vibration damping and smooth operation are a must for enjoyable manual viewing.

If the CEM60 would mainly reside on a pier, that would free up the Berlebach Planet for visual duties. Tripod-wise I should be fine, then. 

Any thoughts?  

There is really only one answer regarding current mounts: Rowan AZ100.

Prefect engineering, no hassles, no power if you don’t want it. Ideal accompaniment for the Tak.

Expensive, perhaps. But not for the quality you get. No compromises here.

But I expect you know this 😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

There is really only one answer regarding current mounts: Rowan AZ100.

Prefect engineering, no hassles, no power if you don’t want it. Ideal accompaniment for the Tak.

Expensive, perhaps. But not for the quality you get. No compromises here.

But I expect you know this 😊

Thanks Jeremy! I suppose I did know this. And yet, there was a hope that I would have missed something. 😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nikodemuzz said:

Thanks Jeremy! I suppose I did know this. And yet, there was a hope that I would have missed something. 😄

Another option is the AZEQ6. You need power of course. I use a small Tracer battery when I go on field trips, shown in the photo. It goes nicely on a Berlebach Planet with my TSA 120 (although that’s quote a bit lighter that the TOA 130)

C0D8C21A-374E-4DFB-8931-DCE555589819.jpeg.4d9400b0cdc86386d88f90e6dfd46686.jpeg

• Like 1

Altair Sabre, AYOdigi II, Giro Ercole, Losmandy AZ8 and Rowan AZ100, these are all the candidates I can think of (maybe Skytee2 would work also).

I had a Sabre before and used it with an ES ED127 (127/975) briefly. The mount coped with the weight and length of the scope very well. What made me sell the Sabre was the lack of slow motion control.

AZ100 is probably the best non-motorised heavy duty alt-az mount in the market at the moment with the potential to be upgraded with encoders, DSC and possibly tracking motors in the future. The Giro Ercole is similar to the Sabre. AYOdigi II again very similar but allows installation of encoders and DSC.

• Like 1

I have the Ercole and the Skytee II. They will hold heavy scopes but to get steadiness to allow the TOA 130 to really show what it can do at high magnifications I think you need something more substantial, with slow motion controls.

I ended up with a T-Rex for my 130mm F/9.2 triplet but they are long out of production now. I think the Rowan AZ100 is the best of those listed so far. There is the TTS Panther of course but the price takes a major leap up again there:

https://www.peak2valleyinstruments.co.uk/page_3569452.html

Edited by John

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for abandoning my own topic! It seems that the Rowan is the clear favorite, as many of the contenders are not available anymore. For me this season will be over in a week or so with the darkness fading away for a few months. That will let me simmer this matter on the back burner for a while and make decisions when the skies return in the autumn. Thanks to all participants for your valuable input!