NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Slow motion controls

Dean Hale

My skillset is definitely not DIY. But it seems to work. 

Impossible to find short slow motion control cables at the moment. The ones i have are too long and i'm constantly knocking them in the dark. I also need the control to be long enough to clear the ADM clamp so needed some kind of extension. Browsed amazon and purchased below.

2x 6mm to 6mm Bore Rigid Coupling Set Screw
2x Round Steel Rod 6mm HSS Lathe Bar Stock
2x Rigid Flange Coupling Motor Guide Shaft Coupler Motor Connectors - swapped one of these for a knob i had on a old avant mount.

I'm certain there are more convenient ways to do this - but for £12 not much to lose and a way to ease boredom - the prices seem so go up and down a few ££s every other day. If what i've done is a big no no do let me know. 

PXL_20210330_155846907.jpg

PXL_20210330_155409820.jpg

PXL_20210330_155416486.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Neat solution @Dean Hale especially the Amazon end connections, had similar issues with my slo mo control cables, I found the Skywatcher offerings too short and stiff which introduced vibration at the eyepiece especially with my lightweight Tak FS-60 setup. 

My DIY solution after a lot of trial & error is 6mm diameter strimmer drive cable cut down to suit off eBay, made the end connectors from stainless steel tube tapped the grub screw holes to m4 and slo mo control knobs from the unused front drives off my Skytee 2. I also used some black heat shrink and electrical tubing around the drive cable to add a bit more rigidity and improve the looks.

Now I can sit comfortably with my ultra flexible slo mo's in my lap, vibration has been virtually eliminated and they are much easier to use, by the way I made a second pair for my Tak FC-100DL setup.

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi @jock1958 interesting to learn how you overcame the problems you had - maybe a little too much DIY for me though.

One more little change. Rooting round 'my might come in useful someday box' i found a rubber spacer (from a washing machine i think) - slots onto the end so much easier to grip and turn now. Just need some decent weather to see if it holds up to constant use.

By the way. I do like the wooden eyepiece holder.

PXL_20210331_114937527.jpg

Edited by Dean Hale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Dean Hale it keeps the mind active during lockdown these little DIY projects 😄
I like your rubber grip and does the slo mo introduce any vibration when you turn it?

I made that clip on eyepiece holder from one of the wife’s old chopping boards and garden wire also made a bigger one for my AZ4 tripod that holds 2” eyepieces! 

Think i may look into recycling a chopping board.  🙂

@jock1958 The Scopetech Zero mount holds a StellaMira and vibrations are minimal - not sure if there is any noticeable difference between the DIY effort and the long cables apart from a usability point of view. I have tried this on my old Skywatcher Explorer 130p and Avant mount with a basic tripod which did like to shudder with any movement and this is much improved over the supplied knobs. Test is to try it in anger and see how it fares and if the grub screws continue to grip (but easy to fix) - maybe once the clouds disappear.

• Like 2