Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first auto guiding test...the excited rambling of a first time guider

MKHACHFE

I know, i know, most of you have been guiding for years, but i only just got around to it.  My kit:

- Star ADventurer 2i

- Unmodded Canon 4000D 

- 70-300mm f5,6

- 50mm Nikkor f2.8

- ASI 120MC mono and 130mm QHY scope

Long story short, i started 2 years ago with the SA Mini which would give me at most 45sec of optimal exposure time, then upgraded to the 2i this past winter and could, get with perfect polar aligning, 90 secs at most, MAYBE 120. 

But two nights ago, i attached my new guiding setup and on my first attempt, managed to get 5 mins. Not only that, but my stars in the centre of the image are rounder than i have ever managed to achieve. So, yes...if any AP newcomer reading this isn't guiding yet, DO IT. My guide cam and scope cost me about £250, but going by my one and only session with it, well worth it. 

There is still some field rotation on the edges due to my mount, but even that is suprisingly minimal for a 5 min sub and since i heavily crop all of my DSO images anyway, it doesn't bother me. 

Only downside is having to trail cables to the PC indoors or keep it outside, but my next purchase will be a cheap Chromebook to use for that. 

Thanks for reading my excited rambling

guidingwow.jpg

• Like 8

Yes, it still gives me a bit of a wow when it finishes calibration and guiding kicks in.  
The distortion in the corners looks like coma to me. If you could get rid of that you’d have round stars right across your images not just in the middle. Is there a field flattener for your lens/telescope? 

I'm still unsure on the 'thing to get next list' for me, its either a filtre or guide scope as the price difference isn't much in them overall. I find that I can get pretty good 4 minute subs without guiding and then I'd also have to get long enough cables as well because like yourself I wouldn't want to leave my laptop out until getting one dedicated for AP. I know they would both be beneficial but just don't know which to choose. If it helps I'm in Bortle 4/3 skies but will only be here for another few months so kinda wanna make the most of it.

On 29/03/2021 at 07:49, Ouroboros said:

Yes, it still gives me a bit of a wow when it finishes calibration and guiding kicks in.  
The distortion in the corners looks like coma to me. If you could get rid of that you’d have round stars right across your images not just in the middle. Is there a field flattener for your lens/telescope? 

Yes, someone else also mentioned that it's more likely to be coma than field rotation.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered by elongated stars in the edges of my images as I crop heavily for almost all DSOs . Certainly enough to lose most of the edge problems. 

I just can't believe how round my central stars are after 5 mins. I can't wait to do a proper DSO session with guiding. .sadly at this time of the year in the UK , the list of striking targets is pretty short. I'd pick the Rosette but it sets quite early...maybe I'll try an M101 shot since it's so high up , or a Leo triplet. 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 18:36, Astro Waves said:

I'm still unsure on the 'thing to get next list' for me, its either a filtre or guide scope as the price difference isn't much in them overall. I find that I can get pretty good 4 minute subs without guiding and then I'd also have to get long enough cables as well because like yourself I wouldn't want to leave my laptop out until getting one dedicated for AP. I know they would both be beneficial but just don't know which to choose. If it helps I'm in Bortle 4/3 skies but will only be here for another few months so kinda wanna make the most of it.

I bought a relatively cheap Svybony CLS filter for my DSLR along with some adapter rings and I must admit, for certain targets, it has helped drastically. And I bought a really cheap one. If you are currently happy with your 4 min subs then maybe a filter is a better option. 

I don't always use my CLS filter, but it absolutely helped on my rosette nebula image.

They way, you won't lose. Both options will provide you with experience and fun I think. 

Cheers

13 hours ago, MKHACHFE said:

Yes, someone else also mentioned that it's more likely to be coma than field rotation.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered by elongated stars in the edges of my images as I crop heavily for almost all DSOs . Certainly enough to lose most of the edge problems. 

I just can't believe how round my central stars are after 5 mins. I can't wait to do a proper DSO session with guiding. .sadly at this time of the year in the UK , the list of striking targets is pretty short. I'd pick the Rosette but it sets quite early...maybe I'll try an M101 shot since it's so high up , or a Leo triplet. 

Cheers

Markarian’s chain of galaxies near Leo might make an interesting target for wide field. 

18 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I always argue that autoguiding is the life blood of astrophotography. It changes everything.

Olly

I can totally see that now to be honest. Not only did it triple my maximum exposure time, but the stars are far rounder than i ever got with 30s. Only downside, for my setup, is having to leave the laptop outside...but that not a big deal really