SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tal 100rs dew shield

wookie1965

Hello my fellow SGLer's I purchased my Tal 100rs from a fellow SGLer who had made a dew shield which works pretty well but I wanted a proper one. 

I saw one on a well known retailer which I will not name who had one for sale I bought it only to find the front cover was missing funnily enough the retailer had that and sold it me separately so the dew shield was left in the box until the front cover turned up. 

When I got it out to put on the scope I noticed it wasn't straight tried to straighten it but something was wrong took it off and found the inside was cracked, a phone call later in which I was told it was in a sale and no chance of a return or refund I'm left with it. 

Now here is the part I would like help with in the vast knowledge of this forum has someone got any ideas of how to go about fixing this, it is under tension so just springs back I did try gorilla glue that did not work so hoping one of you kind people can think of a better way please. 

20210326_140646.jpg

20210326_140633.jpg

20210326_134002.jpg

Unless the supplier told you that it was faulty, and that it was being sold without warranty and you agreed to buy it on that basis, he is talking through his hat. You are entitled to a full refund. Whether it was "on sale" or not is irrelevant.

Does the vendor really want thousands of SGL members & guests to know that he is trying to pull a fast one?

• Like 1

There is a comprehensive guide to  UK consumer rights law on this on the website, originally set up  by St Martin Lewis, patron saint  of thrifty folk :

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

It has given me ammunition to get refunds, demand the refund of postage for returns etc many times . as it  says, mention of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in an exchange of emails can really encourage complaints dept.s to play nicely ... 

Heather

I thank you all however in the original phone call it was pointed out to me that I had done it fitting it I did not but even quoting consumer protection will fall on deaf ears here. 

It is going to be my word against them so I have cut my loses and looking at ways I can rectify it. 

I thought of a ring of something measuring 115mm in diameter and epoxy only trouble is finding something with a 115mm diameter cheap and can easily be cut down to maybe a 20mm length. 

But if anyone has any other ideas I am all ears thank you. 

17 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

But if anyone has any other ideas I am all ears thank you. 

Paul - don't know if this would work for your requirements, but my MCT and current 8" SCT had/have shields made from camping/exercise mat, cut carefully, and finished with heavy duty black tape.  They work a treat, slip on and off easily, and didn't cost much at all.  The mat I used is about 1.3cm thick.

Doug.

BTW - the little ED80 is now mounted differently so that the RDF is in a better position!

TelescopesES&8SEOnSkytee#2.JPG

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Paul - don't know if this would work for your requirements, but my MCT and current 8" SCT had/have shields made from camping/exercise mat, cut carefully, and finished with heavy duty black tape.  They work a treat, slip on and off easily, and didn't cost much at all.  The mat I used is about 1.3cm thick.

Doug.

BTW - the little ED80 is now mounted differently so that the RDF is in a better position!

TelescopesES&8SEOnSkytee#2.JPG

Cheers Doug, 

I do have a homemade shield made by the previous owner which works very well but having the proper one it would be nice to fix it and put it on plus if I come to sell it it will have the correct dew shield on. 

Paul 

• Like 1