NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Schroter's valley, Marius Hills and Schickard near Terminator on 25/3

Nik271

Yesterday the seeing was not as good as the early part of the week, visually there was some turbulence. So  I'm pleasantly surprised how well these came out ( with  Skymax 180 and a DSLR at prime focus).

Just shows what lucky imaging can do :) 

I opted for 1.5 drizzle and kept the sharpening to a minimum, quite like the 'soft' look of these.

1099055322_Schrotersvalley.thumb.jpeg.ea331cb1306a12ef56252daad60ffe46.jpeg

MariusHills.thumb.jpeg.554788326decde298efad776d697880d.jpeg

Schickard.thumb.jpeg.246305c3ef03dd9ba0e23c3d5bf36d1e.jpeg

Clear skies!

• Like 12

Those Maks are wonderful scopes. Had the meade 180 F15 long ago. Wish i still had it. 

Schiller is a lovely crater. A time machine of a impact that must have occured at a much lower angle than many on the lunar surface

A unique and fascinating target for lunar imagers. Nice shots despite the poorer seeing

• Thanks 1

Wow!   Results amazing on all.  Schickard and Wargentin are just fabulous.   I have the the Orion version of this scope.....  not got anything like this yet though I was close one night.   (My schedule is much more accommodating to the "setup and shoot" of refractors..  :( )  I really hope to make images like this though soon on my MAK.  :)  

Clear skies!

Mike

Edited by WestCoastCannuck
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Wow!   Results amazing on all.  Schickard and Wargentin are just fabulous.   I have the the Orion version of this scope.....  not got anything like this yet though I was close one night.   (My schedule is much more accommodating to the "setup and shoot" of refractors..  :( )  I really hope to make images like this though soon on my MAK.  :)  

Clear skies!

Mike

Thanks, Mike! I found that the large 7 inch aperture really shines in good seeing and by good luck I had that over four nights this week. I keep the big Mak in an unheated  shed so it's always close to ambient temperature and  quick to set up and go on a manual EQ5 , just takes 10 minutes. Actually I'm mostly a visual guy and reach for the camera only in special occasions. I'm very glad how good these turned out - much better than I thought at the time. This week I've taken more images than over the whole winter :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fantastic images Nik. So these are single frames? Amazing if so, but either way, such detail visible in there. 

Oh no, they are from videos taken with my DSLR. Each individual frame is lower resolution  that a still photo but when stacked the result is far superior. So  I manually keep the moon  in view for about 2 -3 min  while recording the highest quality video my camera allows (4k in case of my canon 250) and then autostakkert stacks the best 20%. The seeing still rules though, I've started to recognise  when it's worth taking the DSLR as opposed to just enjoying the view in the eyepiece.