NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any advice on Herschel Wedges?

AMcD

Having recently had some modest success is selling equipment I no longer use I am contemplating purchasing a Herschel Wedge for my 152mm TS refractor, having used a Thousand Oaks 2+ filter on my C8 for many years.  I would like to use the Wedge with a ccd camera to obtain WL and calcium k images.  Would someone be able to assist with:

(a) Is there an appreciable difference between the 2” APM Lunt Wedge and the 2” Baader Cool Wedge when used for photography?

(b) Can the Baader Cool Wedge be used with the Baader Calcium K line filter?

Many Thanks...

For photo use would add the Lacerta Wedge. 

https://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Brewster-angle-Herschel-Wedge-with-48mm-Prism-ND3.0-2-Nosepiece-and-2-Rotator-Eyepiece-Holder?search=lacerta wedge

Never found any real difference between the Cool wedge and the Lacerta visually. I’ve owned the Cool wedge as well as a lunt and now have the Lacerta.

8DC3875B-0C2B-4823-B156-910C9EE2FB1F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

2inch Hershal wedge can be used up to 150mm refractors but 1 1/4;inch only up to 100mm refractors. I use a 2ich Lunt but changed the ND3 filter for a ND 1.8 so use the baader k-line filter. Obviously this then becomes just an imaging wedge. Only with the ND3 should be used to observe and even then with a polarization filter too. I think there's not much between Hershal wedge's and you pay your price and model you decide upon.

PSX_20210123_220042.jpg

PSX_20210224_165647.jpg

IMG_20201217_104020.jpg

IMG_20201217_104008.jpg

PSX_20210317_233814.jpg

I saw a definite improvement between a 1.25” Lunt Wedge and a Baader Coolwedge, the Baader was sharper and showed finer detail to my eye. I’ve always been impressed with this unit so would recommend it.