SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MARCH 20TH - LUNAR X, LONG SHADOWS OF CAUCASUS MTN PEAKS.

paulastro

I was out with the Tecnosky 102ED F7 from 9.45pm and packed up at 10.50pm when the seeing deteriorated beyond poor.

Still, had good moments visually with many nice features on show including Rimas Ariddaus and Hyginus.  The area of the S end of the Caucasus Mtns and the N end of the Apennines was particularly fine.  Including long shadows from some peaks of the Caucasus Mtns headindg NW towards Aristilluus and Autolycus still in darkness apart from their E rims.

Lunar X was visible, N of Werner which was still mostly in shadow.  A bit further N along the terminator, Hipparchus and Albategnius showed good detail.

I took a single frame at 9.55pm which is below.  Also a couple of crops from the same frame of some of the features mentioned.  As usual, the views with the scope were much better than the pic indicates.

498859710_P3201935MoonB.thumb.jpg.acd26b079b76e73a60791804979fab71.jpg

759716834_P3201935LunarX.jpg.ceb7329a4dbb9b80deb72dfe26620330.jpg

601205054_P3201935ShdowsofCaucasusWtns.jpg.32307d4e978bbc58569e894f599c8f66.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 11

Superb pic's Paul. You're becoming a proper little imager!  ☺   The Luna X is looking good, but if you're up for the challenge of finding the rest of the lunar alphabet,  I'll pay for the Indian Takeaway of your choice to be delivered to your door. 

Your refractor really does perform well, and to know that those superb pic's won't be as sharp or as spectacular as the view through the telescope, shows how great a scope your Technosky really is.  And to think the currier, on delivery, left your scope in the wheelibin! 😲

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Superb pic's Paul. You're becoming a proper little imager!  ☺   The lunat X is looking good, but if you're up for the challenge of finding the rest of the lunar alphabet,  I'll pay for the Indian Takeaway of your choice to be delivered to your door. 

Your refractor really does perform well, and to know that those superb pic's won't be as sharp or as spectacular as the view through the telescope, shows how great a scope your Technosky really is.  And to think the currier, on delivery, left your scope in the wheelibin! 😲

Yes, that's absolutely true folks!  On the day it was due for delivery, I was looking out for the courier, hardly making a noise in case I missed them. I checked the tracking regularly, and then had an email to say they had delivered it!  I thought it was strange as I had heard nobody knocking.  I looked everywhere for it outside  - no sign of it!  Started to think it had been dropped off at the wrong address, disaster!  Then, as an after thought I checked the wheeley bin outside, and there it was, on its end in the bin.  To be honest I was overjoyed it hadn't gone to the wrong address, in fact I laughed  - though this could have been hysteria 😄.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Paul,

Fabulous picture, I was also out with my new setup A Canon 60D "Unmodified" coupled to a Sky Watcher 200P Dobsonian, I have just fitted the Dual-Speed Crayford Low Profile Focuser which has made a massive difference to taking photos.

Being a beginner at this photography I am well pleased with the results, I took this photo around 5-30pm so still daylight unfortunately the clouds moved in and I had to pack up.

I played around in Photoshop for  second photo.

1072849714_daylightmoon.thumb.jpg.e5420438bfed2e1edc4ed44e95ce58d7.jpg

483080691_moon21st.thumb.jpg.bcb346bcbd4248758aa4a4ee367dd10a.jpg

• Like 2