SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Lunt and a mobile

Hi. 

I have a Lunt LS60TH B1200 which I usually mount in my Celestron 8SE mount which tracks just fine.

For now I only have use of a mobile phone for a camera, that will change hopefully soon.

The views of our star are fabulous although sun still relatively quiet but can't seem to capture anything decent using my phone which is quite a fairly new  Pixel 4a.

Always seems overexposed.

I presume there may be some apps on android to help but I can't seem to find them.

Has anyone tried similar?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

There are apps out the to do this. Often Android phones have good Pro modes on them but I checked and it seems the 4a doesn’t. I use an app called ProCam 8 which is only for iOS, so you could try Nightcap which lots of people rate. I saw an app called GCam suggested but it didn’t seem to get good reviews so I’ve no idea if it’s any good.

Ha imaging is tricky but certainly achievable with a phone. I’ve attached a couple that I have done through various scopes, a Quark and a PST mod.

03AEF5FB-FB7F-49B3-B3DB-70122310DC91.jpeg

2FCD0659-62B5-49B8-AC7C-618DE62767D0.jpeg

C8B2D8C5-CFA9-4F24-BD28-D869DBA7E6C0.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Are you using an eyepiece phone holder? Are there manual settings on your phone? My p10 has manual override for ISO, exposure etc, etc. I've never used it for solar imaging just meteor showers. I use a dedicated mono Zwo ASI 178mm camera

Yes I am the NexYZ. I'll try again using some of the manual settings thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil H said:

There is also a brand new app called deep sky camera it's still under development but may be a good one to try

I will try that too Neil, cheers 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

There are apps out the to do this. Often Android phones have good Pro modes on them but I checked and it seems the 4a doesn’t. I use an app called ProCam 8 which is only for iOS, so you could try Nightcap which lots of people rate. I saw an app called GCam suggested but it didn’t seem to get good reviews so I’ve no idea if it’s any good.

Ha imaging is tricky but certainly achievable with a phone. I’ve attached a couple that I have done through various scopes, a Quark and a PST mod.

03AEF5FB-FB7F-49B3-B3DB-70122310DC91.jpeg

2FCD0659-62B5-49B8-AC7C-618DE62767D0.jpeg

C8B2D8C5-CFA9-4F24-BD28-D869DBA7E6C0.jpeg

Thanks Stu, excellent shots. No nightcap that I can find on android. Maybe there's an android equivalent