NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Starsense location problem

I recently received a Starsense auto align and as usual the sky has been cloudy so I decided to enter location, time zone and DST settings. after I successfully enter the date, time, time zone and DST settings I am unable to go any further to set my location no matter what I do. Even tried to enter the settings from the Menu button and once again it accepts everything until it comes to the location when it asks if I want manual entry  it refused to accept any further entries. Not sure if it is a handset problem or I am just not seeing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The handset is a bit deceptive.  The menu looks like you're in the right place to enter time AND Location, but this screen is JUST for time. When you're here, press SCROLL DOWN.

image.png.bdd1df7376dbf2d21e6e7c39e956cb40.png

You'll then get this menu where the location is entered.

image.png.c7b3d6231ed75ab9d260a0eafc043cba.png

Is that the problem or am I misunderstanding?

4 minutes ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Ah, you need to know the magic key. When you're in the list of cities, press the Celestron Logo button (bottom left). That toggles to the coordinates:

image.png.0194b766ee4c7856029b8ae75a1b51b4.png

Hi Mark,

Thanks again for your input. I have just done a restore default action to see if starting again might help and noticed my firmware is ver 01 .16.16055 Feb 24 2016 which is out of date. I will try your magic button though.

Maurice.

15 minutes ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Ah, you need to know the magic key. When you're in the list of cities, press the Celestron Logo button (bottom left). That toggles to the coordinates:

image.png.0194b766ee4c7856029b8ae75a1b51b4.png

Hi Mark, you are a star, all sorted now you informed me about the magic button, wouldn’t you think Celestron might mention this function in the set up menu ?.

The firmware update can wait unless it causes any problems.

Many thanks again for your assistance Mark 👍

Maurice.

28 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks again for your input. I have just done a restore default action to see if starting again might help and noticed my firmware is ver 01 .16.16055 Feb 24 2016 which is out of date. I will try your magic button though.

Maurice.

If you restored factory settings, that would reset the firmware to its original version.

1 hour ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Yeah, I recall having to search around for this solution myself. It should indeed be in the manual.

Glad you're sorted mate.

There's a thread on CN that explains it more: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/551792-nexstar-plus-option-button/

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the link Mark, it makes for very interesting reading. Regarding the firmware, mine is from 2016 so I can’t see any goitre back any further.