Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - April 2006

daz

6th April

Time 0130

Seeing 8/10

Transparancy 8/10

Moon 25%

We were packing away for the night when Jupiter appeared over the top of the conservatory. I Grabbed the ED80 and put it back on the mount (Which had not been moved).

Starting with the 20mm (30x) LET we could see the moons and some definition in the belts a clear crisp image.

We decided to get the 8" Newt out again.

Bumping up the power we observed through the 5mm  (200x) LET. The bands were clearly defined with the 4 moons clearly visible.

My first Jupiter of the year!

• 3 weeks later...

16th April at 12:05

Looking out of a bedroom window with the OMC140

Temperature - about 22C

Seeing conditions - problem with streetlighting and the horrid blue megawatt lamps on the curry shop up the road reflecting off the double glazing.

My and the boy (got him out of bed as I'd promised if the clouds went) had about 10 minutes looking at the stripy thing. We could easily see several moons and the detail on the planet was good.

This was the first look at Jupiter for both of us, and we were both very impressed.

I only had a 20mm EP to hand but we got a good view.

I was tempted to get the webcam set up after he went back to bed but the clouds came again and turned the sky off.

Captain Chaos

• 1 month later...

Archived