NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A spider, a fly and 2 tadpoles around a flame

MartinB

Also known as IC405, The Flaming Star Nebula, IC410 The Tadpole Nebula and, bottom right, IC417, The Spider and the Fly.  

I imaged this area in HaRGB last year but this time wanted to do a pure Hubble palate NB.  I also added in some blue in the hope of giving a hint of the reflection nebulosity which creates the flame.

This was all captured with a big, blousy fullish moon.

Lens - Canon 200mm@F2.8

Camera - ZWO 294MM (Bin 1 mode - 2.3 micron 47mp)

Filters - Baader 7nm NB and Blue

NB subs all 5 mins 10 hours Ha 3+ hours SII and OIII

Blue - 32x3mins

Captured with SGP, Calibrated and stacked with PI.  Processing PI and PS

The big files made my laptop pretty wheezy otherwise it processed out very easily and I'm pleased with the result.  I didn't want to completely sacrifice the flame on the altar of narrowband.  The blue channel was very washed out by the moon but I managed to make some contrast adjustments then used the colour range tool in PS.  Plonked it onto where the flame should be, gave it a bit of a blur and reduced the opacity a bit.  I think it just about works!

Flame_and_tadpoles_1.jpg

• Like 27

Fantastic image @MartinB.  Those 2.3 micron files must have been huge!  Worth it though as there's loads of additional detail across the image.

As always, top notch processing that retains such lovely flows of nebulosity alongside the subtle palette. 

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1