Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ebay- Was this a good price?

If you want an honest answer Darren, then in my opinion NO.

I don't know what the optics are like - pretty poor I'd guess - but the mount is an absolute joke. If you are serious about astronomy & stargazing I'd steer well clear of this. More like a toy telescope (reminds me of the 2" Tasco that I had when I was a kid).

If you are starting out, a good pair of binoculars - no bigger than 10x50 and a sky map are a good starting point eg these Celestron binos for £54 from Telescopes Plus: http://www.telescopesplus.co.uk/moreinfo.php/Bargain_Basement/Celestron_Outland_LX_8x40_Binoculars/3608 or these Helios binos for £80 http://www.telescopesplus.co.uk/moreinfo.php/Bargain_Basement/Celestron_Outland_LX_8x40_Binoculars/3608

If you know your way around the sky but can't afford anything pricier at the moment, save your pennies until you can afford something a bit better - eg Rother Valley Optics have this SkyWatcher 609 on an equitorial mount for £70 (see here > http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/mercury-609_d25.html) or Telescopes Plus have the following Celestron GoTo scope for £99.00 http://www.telescopesplus.co.uk/moreinfo.php/Bargain_Basement/Celestron_NexStar_80_GTL_Refurbished/3510 (although this is a refurb).

You'd probably find the mount of the 60mm Powerseeker extremely annoying after a very short time & regret your purchase.

Just my opinions. Feel free to disagree!

Zaph

Well, as the original enquiry was about a guidescope, then most of the previous answers were a bit of a waste of time!

Simply: -

if you bought it, it was an excellent price, well done!

If you didn't buy it, no, it was a terrible price. Keep looking and good luck!

Cheers for your help guys! I never bought it ,just wondered if it would make a decent guide scope to use on my C8.

I think i will hold out for a 70mm or 80mm at a price.

Thanks again

Daz

I'm intrigued by the Paisley Strat in your sig, tell me more.

Hi Dave. Glad you like the pic ! I sell electric guitars for a living,have done for many yrs now.

I currently own a cherry red 335 :( but used to have a 1973 pink paisly strat just like the photo-very nice it was too! You can still get hold of em for around £500 although thay are Jap and not USA having said that they are a fab guitar.

Cheers

Daz

Never had a 335, always been one of those 'do I really need one' guitars. I teach guitar in schools during the day and my trusty Pacifica gave up the ghost the other week. I went into the local music emporium and tried an Ibanez GiO (or is it GTO?) and it was absolutely brill for £119 so it's now in the gig bag. I can't get over how they can knock guitars out for that sort of price these days. I have guitars costing 3K plus and it plays almost as good as the expensive ones. It doesn't sound as good, nowhere near but then you wouldn't expect it to.

That was a good purchase Dave, I sell the Gio's for £129 and they play real well.

I think that the quality of guitars nowadays is fantastic compared to the past! We dont know we are born. Shame about your Yamaha,they were just voted as one of the best guitars you can buy for under £200. My 335 was my pre 40th birthday present to my self (second hand obviously!) although i must admit i do tend to play my Ibanez more!

Its all good fun.

Nice chatting to you,Am sure our paths will cross again as iam always looking for advice and this forum is very friendly.

Cheers

Daz :(

I get 10% discount on everything at the local shop as I send all my studes there for books. guitars etc. Plus the manager is an old mate of mine, so I suppose that would put it up around your price without the discount. Strange how many musos are into astronomy actually, I know quite a few.

I think that the quality of guitars nowadays is fantastic compared to the past! We dont know we are born.

Daz,

Funnily enough I think the same goes for astro equipment as well. Even though there have been some recession-driven price rises recently the range, quality and value of what is available these days is simply staggering compared to the situation say a decade ago :(

John

Archived