NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB port issues

Rustang

I needed an extra USB port because I now need to run a filter wheel. I have two external USB hubs, one old, one brand new. So If I plug my filter wheel or guide camera straight into the 'laptop' USB port, they connect fine, If I plugged both devices into either 'external' USB port, then the 'external' ports into the same USB 'laptop' port, the software I'm using (APT & PHD2) cant find the devices. Any ideas!? is there a port number setting somewhere i need to check!?

Edited by Rustang

11 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

You dont say whether the USB hub is powered or not - if its not powered its almost certain to give problems. The best one I ever found for reliability was the Startech one - https://www.ebuyer.com/196841-startech-com-mountable-rugged-industrial-7-port-usb-hub-st7200usbm

Thanks for your reply, Its not powered.

Edited by Rustang

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

What OS are you using ? some older versions of Windows get in muddle with USB plugged unplugged and different things swopped to different sockets.

Dave

Thanks for your reply, its windows 8

There are various how tos on the internet, from simply uninstalling the USB controllers, Windows will reinstall them on rebooting, to editing them out of the registry.

As David said powered hubs are advisable and Startech are good, I have a couple.

Dave

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

There are various how tos on the internet, from simply uninstalling the USB controllers, Windows will reinstall them on rebooting, to editing them out of the registry.

As David said powered hubs are advisable and Startech are good, I have a couple.

Dave

Ok thanks, i will check that out, the Startech will be another expensive though that's the problem. What will uninstalling them do to the ports that I know work with say the mount, will that still connect ok afterwards!?

Edited by Rustang

31 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

Ok, we are sorted!! Thanks for the info in regards to online how to's, I started to read a help guide which stated to follow its steps in order, Step number 2 was a simple computer re start, that has sorted the issue and the external USB is now working! Thanks for all your help. Im pleased I dont have to spend out again just yet!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that may simplify thing in the future is always use the same USB port on the hub for your devices.

Windows has a habit of loading drivers to match the device on a port, so, you can end up with multiple copies of a driver associated to different ports - this is partly why when you plug, say a camera, into port 2 when it was in port 1 yesterday, windows will load the camera driver.

HTH and makes sense :)