Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics UK Vx14

Hi everyone, thinking of purchasing an Orion Optics VX14 on a Dob mount, it’s purely for observational observing and I will likely take by car to a dark sight as/when I can. Have recently moved and where I now am the skies have been pretty amazing on those clear nights albeit very cold, I’m just looking for feedback from anyone who has one and your experiences with it, currently I have a secondhand DX300 which produces stunning views and my trusty TV85. Thanks for responding. Stay safe

D8D02A18-F437-4D05-B6C6-0835214415B5.jpeg

Hi,

I have the VX12L 1/6 and am really impressed with it. As far as the scope goes, I’m sure you’ll not be disappointed.

However I’d not consider it very portable. It’s the same length OTA as the VX14 at approx 1.5m.

The altitude bearing wheels can make for good carry ‘handles’ when needed but you’ll need a vehicle with a long, well padded, soft and very accessible cargo space or you’ll end up with one very dented OTA. The tube is made from rolled aluminium which although light is relatively soft.

I have an L200 pickup with a role out bed which many people consider to be a big vehicle. The VX12 OTA will just fit in at an angle and with very good cushioning it can be transported without damage. I was surprised just how big it was when I collected it (second hand) and the VX14 will be bigger.

The dob base is relatively light, well made, smooth and easily transported on the back seat in the cab.

Excellent scopes and I’m sure you could transport one regularly with the right vehicle but be prepared to accept it will get damaged no matter how careful you try to be. And that will slaughter it’s second hand value. 

Edited by SMF
  • Like 1

Belay all the above, I’ve just realised you’ve already got essentially the same, the DX being the older version, it’s late, it’s Saturday night and with cloudy skies the wine and beer has been flowing a little to much 🙄

42 minutes ago, SMF said:

Belay all the above, I’ve just realised you’ve already got essentially the same, the DX being the older version, it’s late, it’s Saturday night and with cloudy skies the wine and beer has been flowing a little to much 🙄

Might be gin here rather than wine, but I recognise that vibe!

I was wondering about a VX12 or 14 as a visual counterpart to my imaging rig (a 200P Sky-Watcher) but am erring towards a frac (either a cheap Bresser or a low-end Tak) at the moment just for portability and ease of setup; not having to collimate after moving etc is a definite appeal, but then I'm limiting myself to fairly bright targets with reduced aperture, so swings and roundabouts...

I've got a E350 estate which would be big enough to move a VX14 should I go to a dark sky site, but definitely worth considering the size etc - I know a lot of the truss based dobs fold down and can save a lot of room when transporting which can be a huge plus. The 200P is much smaller (a full 50cm shorter) and a bit of a faff to move around - I've taken it to one or two sites and the combined pain of setting it up and collimating it (and the weight) is a lot of work.