SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bins on the way!

With telescopes being out of stock everywhere I've been spending my time reading up and decided to buy some decent binoculars as a solid starting point. Even this was no mean feat with stocks being low and requiring a pair with good eye-relief for specs due to astigmatism.

I've ordered the Opticron adventurer 10x50 t wp binoculars, as these appear to have received the best reviews across the board, so hopefully they are the right ones to go for! 

I'm thinking of mounting them on a monopod - but not sure what bracket etc. I'll need. Can anyone recommend one, please? 

MiladyB x

Opticron do an L shaped bracket for around £10, and I ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-177-cm-Pistol-Grip-Tripod/dp/B01LQX0P8Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=amazon+basics+pistol+grip+tripod&qid=1613822967&sr=8-1

The pistol grip ball head unscrews from the tripod and I put it on a monopod with the Opticron L bracket. It takes my 10x50s and 15x70s with no problems. You can of course just use it on the tripod but I find it easier with the monopod, especially in a garden recliner. Hth

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Vader said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-177-cm-Pistol-Grip-Tripod/dp/B01LQX0P8Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=amazon+basics+pistol+grip+tripod&qid=1613822967&sr=8-1

The pistol grip ball head unscrews from the tripod and I put it on a monopod with the Opticron L bracket. It takes my 10x50s and 15x70s with no problems. You can of course just use it on the tripod but I find it easier with the monopod, especially in a garden recliner. Hth

Andy

That's great, thanks 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiladyB said:

With telescopes being out of stock everywhere I've been spending my time reading up and decided to buy some decent binoculars as a solid starting point. Even this was no mean feat with stocks being low and requiring a pair with good eye-relief for specs due to astigmatism.

I've ordered the Opticron adventurer 10x50 t wp binoculars, as these appear to have received the best reviews across the board, so hopefully they are the right ones to go for! 

I'm thinking of mounting them on a monopod - but not sure what bracket etc. I'll need. Can anyone recommend one, please? 

MiladyB x

I have the same bin.s, if you check the opticron site it gives suggestions of bracket for each specific model :

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/adventurer-t-wp-binoculars/adventurer-t-wp-10x50 check the drop down menu for 'accessories'

I bought my bracket at the same time as the bin.s to minimize postage. AFAIK, all binocular mounts use the same (camera to tripod style) threads, so pretty much any you buy will  fit all binoculars with a threaded socket and all photo tripod heads.

I have an old monopod and a small photo tripod ball head , perfectly sufficient to take the weight and reduce the wobble of the 10x50s, you don't need an expensive monopod , or a high quality ball head ( the head allows you to swivel upwards with the binoculars rather than tilting the whole momopod) , just be sure the monopod is tall enough to hold the binocular eyepieces at a comfortable height. Basketball players may need to be picky with monopod selection, most of us could just buy something like the Amazon basics model , which was £15 last time I checked

Heather

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2021 at 12:18, Dark Vader said:

Andy

This is the pistol grip @darth vader refers to...

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

I use one with my 7x50's or 20x80's on either a tripod or monopod. BTW - base fitting is 3/8"

This attachment ---> TG-manual.pdf is the 'Dummies Guide' or 'Idiots Guide' to the mount
and how to use it, maintain it, etc., by SGL'er @BinocularSky

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Philip R said:

This is the pistol grip @darth vader refers to...

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

I use one with my 7x50's or 20x80's on either a tripod or monopod. BTW - base fitting is 3/8"

This attachment ---> TG-manual.pdf is the 'Dummies Guide' or 'Idiots Guide' to the mount
and how to use it, maintain it, etc. by SGL'er @BinocularSky

Thanks, that'll be very useful 😊

• Thanks 1

A quick thank you and an update!

Even with the bright moon Bortle 6 sky tonight I have seen: M42, Mars, The Pleiades, and actually managed to find M31 - I actually squealed with joy when I spotted the faint smudge Stellarium had pointed me to 😆

I can't wait for some darker skies!

Thanks again for all the brilliant advice 😊

MiladyB x

• Like 2

The Hyades and Collinder 70 in Orion's belt are also good bin targets this time of year.  Also, pan around between Casseiopia and Perseus before they set.  There are a bunch of beautiful open clusters in that area as well.

• Like 1