Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New equipment set-up

Looking for some advice on setup, I am a novice and learning my way around my current set-up, A Helios D+120mm F=1000mm refractor (same as the Sky Watcher) sat on a EQ3 mount, last night was the first time I managed to get out and see something, apart from the obvious novice fumbling my biggest problem is vibration.

I notice that on the mount the declination movement has about ½” of play but it seems the size of the telescope is just too big for the tripod hence the vibration.

I attached my DSLR and had to set the self timer at 10secs to allow enough time for the movement to calm down.

So my question is what would be the minimum size of  Mount / Tripod to eliminate the vibration for my telescope and what systems suffer less from this vibration?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Helios1.thumb.jpg.6e9258c14ca9643a24835a0b675f03e0.jpg

There's a few things you can try without having to get a new mount.

Make sure everything is tightened up on the tripod and the tripod is level.

I've seen some people using a weight hung from the equipment try to help with stability. Obviously, don't go OTT with the amount of weight but something attached with string tied to the underside of the tray and have it just above floor level.

Make sure the mount is balanced correctly in both axis with the camera attached and that the axis clutches are secure. A remote trigger for the DSLR would also help so you don't have to touch the camera between shots.

The main issue is the mount can take a payload of about 5kg but your scope is already about 4kg. Normally for astrophotography you're looking to have the payload about two-thirds of the maximum the mount can take. So you would be looking for a mount which can take a payload of 7kg or above.

I hope that helps a little and I'm sure others will be along to add more. ;)   

• Like 1

A steel tripod under the EQ3-2 mount will improve things (I used to have an Evostar 120 on that arrangement and it was not too bad) but an EQ5 would be better still.

If you do decide to look for just a tripod upgrade, the EQ3-2 mount has the same tripod fitting as the EQ5 and HEQ5.

Once I had the Helios 150mm F/8 refractor on one of those aluminum tripods so you can imagine what that was like to try and look through :rolleyes2:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I intend to be in amazing pastime for the long term so I think I will invest in the future and buy the HEQ6, a tad overkill for my current scope but as I have excellent easy access to the patio from the conservatory doors the weight isn't a problem, it will also allow me to upgrade the scope when I am ready to move on.

• Like 4