NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh What A Night!

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! It is amazing what another night can bring! Same viewing conditions but radically different results! Last night I found objects left right and centre in contrast to the previous night where I couldn't catch a break! I bagged the Eskimo nebula immediately ( thanks Orange Smartie for your pro tip!). I realised in my mind's eye I had imagined Planetary nebulae as being larger than they actually are, now that I know what they look like I'm spotting them easily. In addition to the Eskimo I also found NGC 2867 another Planetary in Carina that had previously eluded me. I'm now in love with Planetary nebulae, they are beautiful as they initially look like a hazy star but bloom when you crank up the magnification. Also they show surprising amount of colour! I also bagged the faint elliptical galaxy NGC 2822 in Carina. These past few nights have been a massive learning curve for me in terms of really starting to get comfortable using my dob as well as using it to discover faint objects. Observing is truly a skill! Thank you all here on SGL for your tips and encouragement, you are the best! Clear skies!

Joe

• Like 14

Congrats. I was having a look at NGC 2392 too, tonight. The transparency was pretty poor tonight, though and it wasn't the best view I've had of it.

Some of the planetary nebulae are much bigger in comparison. Have you ever seen the Dumbbell nebula? can you even? That's much more of a faint fuzzy and you can see it in binoculars. The Ring nebula is my favourite (M57) perhaps because it was the first target I saw when I got my scope (that I hadn't already seen in binos). People talk about their 'Saturn' moment. The Ring nebula holds that place for me!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pixies said:

Congrats. I was having a look at NGC 2392 too, tonight. The transparency was pretty poor tonight, though and it wasn't the best view I've had of it.

Some of the planetary nebulae are much bigger in comparison. Have you ever seen the Dumbbell nebula? can you even? That's much more of a faint fuzzy and you can see it in binoculars. The Ring nebula is my favourite (M57) perhaps because it was the first target I saw when I got my scope (that I hadn't already seen in binos). People talk about their 'Saturn' moment. The Ring nebula holds that place for me!

Hi Pixies. No I have not yet seen either the Dumbbell or the Ring nebula. I can't wait for them to "rise" from here. When I was using binoculars I mostly hunted for open clusters and globulars ( I'm a cluster fantastic 😁)Now that I have a dob its opening new possibilities and I'm becoming a fanatic for everything in the sky! Both those Planetaries will be visible from my lattitude so I can't wait, I'm also anticipating seeing M 13 for the first time😛

1 hour ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Funny you should mention Saturn....the Saturn nebula (which isn’t visible in the UK at the moment) is one of my favorites, it really does look like the planet

Hi Jiggy. Ahh the Saturn nebula. That is another attractive target that I will look out for, so it really does look like Saturn? I'm loving Planetary nebulae at the moment!

4 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Jiggy. Ahh the Saturn nebula. That is another attractive target that I will look out for, so it really does look like Saturn? I'm loving Planetary nebulae at the moment!

It looks like a blue-green and slightly fuzzy version of Saturn. I first saw it through a 20" Dobson at Olly Penrice's place, and was amazed at how intense the colour was. Low in the sky during summer, but very much worth looking for

• Like 2

Excellent report and your excitement shows compared to your other frustrating night, but your persevirence paid off! Try have a look at M1 (Crab Nebula) if it is visible from your side and if you have not already done so. It is a gorgeous target.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

It looks like a blue-green and slightly fuzzy version of Saturn. I first saw it through a 20" Dobson at Olly Penrice's place, and was amazed at how intense the colour was. Low in the sky during summer, but very much worth looking for

Interesting Michael, the view through a 20" must have been incredible! Aquarius is currently out of view but I will hunt for the Saturn nebula as soon as it is viewable.

15 minutes ago, Kon said:

Excellent report and your excitement shows compared to your other frustrating night, but your persevirence paid off! Try have a look at M1 (Crab Nebula) if it is visible from your side and if you have not already done so. It is a gorgeous target.

Hi Kon, yeah a completely different feeling from the night before! I took a while to find M1 but saw it finally about a week ago. You are right it is a gorgeous target! Hope you have a successful night hunting those elusive fuzzies🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hope you have a successful night hunting those elusive fuzzies

Thanks. It is looking promising tonight, although a small seeing window. I hope to have something to report soon 🔭

image.png.6c9f19005117d823081c573bd9d41153.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1