Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro not recognised by APT

AlanP_

Hi all,

I finally got everything setup and ready to go, clear skies and I go to set it all up and my mount wont connect to my laptop.

I've installed ASCOM platform and a skywatcher driver, but on APT when I click connect it says "Cannot connect to mount".I have a cable running from the "Hand controller" port into my laptop via USB. Also, when I am selecting my telescope on ASCOM, No Com Port options are there. Its just blank and I cant select anything. Any ideas why? This may be why it cant connect.

I've unisntalled all software and drivers but no joy. Would love if anyone with a bit of knowledge on this could help! Before the clouds come... :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Which cable have you got ? On my HEQ5 the cable goes direct to the mount not the hand controller.

Steve

Yeah sorry, its connected to the port on the mount where the hand controller normally connects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

There should be lots of people on SGL using APT and HEQ5 but if nobody else helps by tomorrow I will get my HEQ5 out again and seehow it connects.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I woudln't want you to go through that effort :) Thanks a lot though!

What software do you use now?

Have you tried connecting to the mount in eqmod/eqascom first? There are some settings that need attention, IIRC on my eq6 i had to make changes to baud rate as the defaults were incorrect. 

There should be an eqascom toolbox or something like that, that was installed along with the ascom stuff. In there is a configure button where you set  com port, baud rate etc.

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Have you tried connecting to the mount in eqmod/eqascom first? There are some settings that need attention, IIRC on my eq6 i had to make changes to baud rate as the defaults were incorrect. 

There should be an eqascom toolbox or something like that, that was installed along with the ascom stuff. In there is a configure button where you set  com port, baud rate etc.

Is this it here? I tried connecting through this but no joy :( Unless theres a different piece of software im not sure....

image.png.d8eb7cdedce6a97ce68ba371864ad629.png

10 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

It should work, thats the right cable. When you select the mount is it like below 

image.png.ef1841f6eed0c7500d2f6dbc591a532c.png

What I cannot see without connecting my HEQ5 is the properties but maybe if you post a pic I might remember what to do. 

Steve

So I created this telescope setting in ascom

image.png.fc33152ce06dd40efac31636b92a2026.png

And then in APT, when I hit connect this pops up and I can select my HEQ5 telescope that I made in ASCOM (as shown above), but I still cant connect to a COM port. I tried uninstalling the COM drivers and reinstalling but no joy.

I've also tried to force the COM3 port which is whats shown in device manager, but again no joy. And my USB cable is connecting to the laptop so I dont think its broken. 

image.png.612db9a69e6b4eec0e7502a7ad06ec2a.png

image.png

11 minutes ago, Spikey said:

Does it need any USB to serial drivers to work properly?  I know some don't need it, but some do and I couldn't make out which chip type it was from the website.

I had a look around but I couldnt find anything. Do you know where I can download those serial drivers just incase they do work?

3 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Are you clicking on properties as it suggests?

Yeah, I have those settings I should in my previous reply. Im not sure if they're right or not.. but either way the COM port isnt showing up.

31 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

I had a look around but I couldnt find anything. Do you know where I can download those serial drivers just incase they do work?

Yeah, I have those settings I should in my previous reply. Im not sure if they're right or not.. but either way the COM port isnt showing up.

It should be a Prolific USB to serial driver. Which version I do not know. Try the latest.