Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIAIR and WiFi extender.

Most will have varying options including one to use it wireless in & out.  Hard to advise without knowing the extender make and your usage needs.

Basically they can either:

• use an incoming wifi signal, amplify it and use the same SSID (wifi name)
    • network port can then be used like an extension to the router for non wifi devices
  • use network cable, create the same SSID (wifi name)
  • use an incoming wifi signal, amplify it and use a new SSID (wifi name)
    • network port can then be used like an extension to the router for non wifi devices
  • use network cable, create a new SSID (wifi name)
  • without any network feed wired or wireless create a new wifi network

Depends on the requirements you have which suit you the best.

Thank you for the reply. I aim to hook up my ASIAIR to the WiFi extender in , I hope, Order to have a better WiFi connection. Power to the ASIAIR will come from my battery. My telescope on which will be the ASIAIR will be in the garden about 20’ from the house. That is why I have been thinking about an extender.

The extender I am looking at is a Rangextd.

1 hour ago, Dinoboy said:

Thank you for the reply. I aim to hook up my ASIAIR to the WiFi extender in , I hope, Order to have a better WiFi connection. Power to the ASIAIR will come from my battery. My telescope on which will be the ASIAIR will be in the garden about 20’ from the house. That is why I have been thinking about an extender.

The extender I am looking at is a Rangextd.

So an in house mains powered device. Is that because you don't want to use the ASIAir (AAP) remotely?

THe weak link in the chain is the small wifi aerial on the AAP on the Raspberry Pi circuit board, which is worsened by it being inside a metal case.  This is OK if the AAP is used as the wifi host and everything else is nearby, the intended remote usage. But for a home location where disyance and walls come into play the AAP is a bit wifi deaf!

For portable and away from home there are a lot who use a TPLink device (such as TP-Link AC750/TL-WR902AC) to create a hotspot for their phone/ipad and ASIair to connect to. It can also be used as an extender, which may be able to be sited near your AAP and pick up your home wifi too.

1 hour ago, Dinoboy said:

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have been looking at both WiFi extenders and mesh extenders but which is the best. All I want to do is get the best most reliable connection to my ASIAIR.

Have you tried the ASIAIR Pro Facebook group, they've had a bit of discussion about it and recommended one but I can't remember which one it was.

Dave