Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polaris, is it essential to view.

Hi all, the alingnment part on a Skywatcher 200p with eq5 synscan Pro goto, is doing my head in. 

Is it essential the use the polaris viewer and be able to actually see polaris as it's hidden by my neighbours house. 

Atm, it's not a problem as we've had hardly any cloud free nights this year. 

I just wondered if I get the coordinates and type them in, will that work. 

Hi I have same problem when on the patio I do it 2 ways , first one may not work for you but what I did was spot a land Mark on next doors house  were Polaris is and line mount to the land Mark , 2 way I use the most is get tripod lined up on North level it then put the mount on fit a spare dove tail now use stellariaum on your smart phone ask it to show Polaris your then get an arrow on the screen pop phone on to dove tail and adjust mount till arrow is straight up this will be close enough for visual 

Edited by Neil H

It's not necessary to align on Polaris to be polar aligned. It can be done by aligning on two other stars on the equator that are a long way apart. If the scope centres both stars then you're aligned.

Edited by mikeDnight

At the risk of provoking a reaction similar to one recently on a similar thread 😀 but in the interest of helping you. If you’re using an iPhone, then there is an app called PS Align Pro which has a daytime polar align routine which means you can’t see Polaris, obviously it can be used at night as well. Follow the very quick routine and you will be very close to the NCP and Polaris. Close enough for decent tracking of an object for a decent period of time 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I don't use iPhone but other half does. I will ask her if she can run it for me. Its now avail for android it it. I had a synscan Pro app but the ssid is hidden. 

Was going to try a laptop. I just wanted to work it out before opting for a laptop. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

At the risk of provoking a reaction similar to one recently on a similar thread 😀 but in the interest of helping you. If you’re using an iPhone, then there is an app called PS Align Pro which has a daytime polar align routine which means you can’t see Polaris, obviously it can be used at night as well. Follow the very quick routine and you will be very close to the NCP and Polaris. Close enough for decent tracking of an object for a decent period of time 

Hi @Jiggy 67,

does the free version do day time align.  You have to pay for the Pro-version.  I'm allergic to paying for Apps 🤣

• Haha 2

One tip. To make it more accurate, attach your phone to a piece of wood or something by an elastic band to take it away from the metal of your mount, then place the wood in your dovetail cradle. This stops the magnetic effect of the mount affecting the result. I don’t bother with that cos I can see Polaris, I just use it to get Polaris in the fov of the polar scope when setting up during the daytime . I then tweek it through the polar scope at night to get bang on. Total time for accurate PA- 5 minutes 

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 22:37, W0nderste said:

Hi @Jiggy 67,

does the free version do day time align.  You have to pay for the Pro-version.  I'm allergic to paying for Apps 🤣

Day time align is a feature of the Pro version. The free version has all functions related to "classic" alignment with the polar scope, including all the reticles (over 20 of them covering pretty much everything ever produced that I have been made aware of).

But it's a hobby app, if someone would like the pro version and they do not like to pay for apps, I don't mind being asked for a free promo code.

• Like 1