Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Starsense explorer 130DX upgrade scope?

Hello all,

We currently have a Celestron Starsense explorer 130DX. The mount provided has a mount which you can use the starsense mobile app for navigating the stars which is brilliant!

My question is would I be able to upgrade the scope for example buy an 8” Reflector and put it on the same mount? Would the mount supplied be able to handle a bigger scope? I want to be able to continue to use the starsense mobile app you see.

Many thanks 

2 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The Starsense Explorer DX uses an az mount which might be too small to attach an 8" tube to. The 8" tube is also much longer than the 130 OTA, this might mean that the tube could clash with the tripod/mount when elevated.

Thanks. The tube fouls on the tripod now as it is so could be even worse then. It’s a shame that I won’t be able to use the phone and starsense app with other larger scopes 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 01:42, Sluke321 said:

Hello all,

We currently have a Celestron Starsense explorer 130DX. The mount provided has a mount which you can use the starsense mobile app for navigating the stars which is brilliant!

My question is would I be able to upgrade the scope for example buy an 8” Reflector and put it on the same mount? Would the mount supplied be able to handle a bigger scope? I want to be able to continue to use the starsense mobile app you see.

Many thanks 

Peter is not exactly right.
I'm 100% positive you can use the CSSE (Celestron StarSense Explorer) device on any other telescope with ease. And I know people who's done not only that but also revamping the entire phone cradle as the original one is too bulky. It works with any Alt/Az mounted and Dobson telescopes.

So, just make sure your future 8" is a normal Dobsonian or Alt/Az mounted (the latter is rare), not some GEM or a Ball mounted scope (even though there are mixed reports the CSSE works on the latter, better skip those for now).
Then, just figure a mechanically solid way to secure the CSSE phone cradle with the mirror on the 8" scope tube or mount reliably. The goal is to make it perfectly rigid relatively to the optical axis of the telescope, so when you move it around the sky it's not flexing or rotating from gravity, inertia, or accidental forces (kick, push/pull), otherwise, obviously the pointing performance wouldn't be reliable. E.g. you can make an adapter for the cradle to mount it in the standard finer shoe (just make sure it sits tight on the OTA). Or just drill the OTA on the top and screw the cradle down there.

On a side note: the CSSE technology is truly revolutional. Only Celestron's corporate greed delaying it from landing on every telescope making pointing at any targets even more reliable and accurate than with expensive/heavy/bulky motorized GoTo controllers. 

Edited by AlexK

Hi Sluke321,

I think there are some crossed wires in the above replies.

Peter is correct that the alt/Az mount/tripod on the Starsense explorer 130DX would not be suitable for an 8" reflector. But I think AlexK is referring to mounting the 'starsense phone mount' which lets you use the guiding app, and he is correct as there have been a lot of these fitted to other systems - though there may be a need for a customised bracket to suit the new scope it's going on.

There is a long thread about using the Starsense phone mount (and code to register it) here on SGL.

• Like 2

I'd agree regarding the mount, you'd probably find that it just about handles the 130 it came with, anything bigger/heavier and even if you could get it on there the tripod/mount would struggle.

Regarding using the starsense app on another scope, this thread may help, there's a few of us who've done it 🙂 

Starsense Explorer Stand Alone Conversion - Discussions - Mounts - Stargazers Lounge

On 16/02/2021 at 06:05, StevieDvd said:

Hi Sluke321,

I think there are some crossed wires in the above replies.

Peter is correct that the alt/Az mount/tripod on the Starsense explorer 130DX would not be suitable for an 8" reflector. But I think AlexK is referring to mounting the 'starsense phone mount' which lets you use the guiding app, and he is correct as there have been a lot of these fitted to other systems - though there may be a need for a customised bracket to suit the new scope it's going on.

There is a long thread about using the Starsense phone mount (and code to register it) here on SGL.

My bad. Peter's reply is indeed OK per jure :D That flimsy tripod wouldn't carry a typical 8" well. Though still lacking a diligent explanation. The OP point was to continue using the CSSE on a better telescope, but Peter's answer was frankly "No, you cannot". Which is discouraging. So I unintentionally (or subconsciously? :) ) did the same: ignored Peter's point and haven't realized that just until now! Because a 8" is usually associated with a Dob to me, and the Dob means the decent proper mount for it is included. Fixed my post above.

Edited by AlexK

I think the original poster would have been a little suprised if they had just bought a 200P reflector to go on the original mount as the difference between 130 & 200 does not seem that much, but unpacked it's quite a change in hardware size & weight.🙂

• Like 1