Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

N.I.N.A images are not showing colour ( with ASI 071 MC Pro camera)

Gan

I wonder if someone could be kind enough to suggest what settings need to be changed to see images in colour, obtained  in NINA using ASI 071 MC Pro camera ( saved as TIFF files). Much appreciated

4 hours ago, tomato said:

I believe there is a tick box on the imaging options page to debayer the downloaded image from your camera.

I guess you are referring to this page. I have ticked this anyway but I suspect this is for a preview purpose but not actually the downloaded image. image.png.87b673040dbee1d109af76420e2990ed.png

6 hours ago, ngwillym said:

According to the NINA manual "

• If an OSC camera is used, the raw bayered data is saved"

- I'm guessing you'll need to debayer the saved image?

I presume you mean once we open this file in a stacking programme or when we are doing the post processing. I tored that in DSS with no benefit because the Tiff files have no facility for debyering in DSS. Perhaps I should try once again taking FITS files and try debayering in DSS.

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

It should be saving as a fits file coming from a ZWO camera. My Canon saves cr2 files but are debayered and stretched only for the preview window within NINA.

I changed them from FITS files to TIFF thinking that I will be able to see them in GIMP directly for a 'preview'  before stacking in DSS. I will try again taking FITS files and debayer and stack in DSS, to see if it makes a difference. Thank you

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

It should be saving as a fits file coming from a ZWO camera. My Canon saves cr2 files but are debayered and stretched only for the preview window within NINA.

OK - so the image you uploaded I am guessing is not directly from the camera???

It is indeed a greyscale image which makes me think that its a file file that DSS has spat out due to incorrectly debayering the image.

Can you upload a sub direct from camera ie NOTHING done to it then we can work out where its going wrong?

10 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Here is your image debayered. Is this the stack or a single sub?

_2021_01_23_21_21_18__10_00_120_00s_0001_RGB_VNG.jpg

Wow, that looks good. This is a single sub ( not stacked). How did you you do that debayering?

10 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

OK - so the image you uploaded I am guessing is not directly from the camera???

It is indeed a greyscale image which makes me think that its a file file that DSS has spat out due to incorrectly debayering the image.

Can you upload a sub direct from camera ie NOTHING done to it then we can work out where its going wrong?

2021-01-23_21-05-40__-10.00_120.00s_0001.tifI thought I did, but very sorry if I  had mistakenly uploaded a stacked image, but just in case I will upload once more a sub direct from camera. Not stacked.

2021-01-23_21-05-40__-10.00_120.00s_0001.tif

2 minutes ago, Gan said:

I thought I did, but very sorry if I  had mistakenly uploaded a stacked image, but just in case I will upload once more a sub direct from camera. Not stacked.

It  might be a single image but its a TIFF - have you got NINA saving images as TIFFs instead of FITS ???

Can you upload the autosaved DSS file ??

2 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

It  might be a single image but its a TIFF - have you got NINA saving images as TIFFs instead of FITS ???

1. Yes, that's right. Now I realised that it would be better saved in FITS in NINA as I mentioned above. 2. Here is the DSS autosave TIFF file ( stack of 10 lights and 10 darks and 10 flats and 10 dark flats), I have not stretched the image in GIMP yet, because I don't know how to debayer using GIMP.

Autosave.tif

7 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

If he has gone ahead and stacked without debayering then it wont work as the bayer matrix will get all jumbled up. You need to debayer colour images before stacking. So a red pixel stacks with a red pixel, blue with blue etc. It may still be possible to use the data though. First I'd try again in DSS but make sure the below settings are enabled. If you click on the RAW settings tab and go to the FITS tab make sure the box is ticked to debayer a colour image. Try stacking then. If that fails and still outputs a greyscale image, I would try and convert them back into FITS files and then try stacking again.

debayer.thumb.PNG.c81a0e33626fae536c0acacbfb80f4e6.PNG

3 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

@Gan  Did you get it sorted ???

I am eagerly waiting for  a session of imaging, but skies are not cooperative. Hopefully soon. Thanks for your help Skipper Billy. 

-Gan

• Like 1

Good luck - are you fairly clear on what to do next time ???

I had a play with your autosaved image and whilst the bayer matrix is completely messed up I deliberately used the wrong matrix to reveal some colour so at least you can see what you got - you could have a play at processing it when its cloudy!! 

Autosave_RGB_VNG.tif

On 29/01/2021 at 17:59, Skipper Billy said:

Good luck - are you fairly clear on what to do next time ???

I had a play with your autosaved image and whilst the bayer matrix is completely messed up I deliberately used the wrong matrix to reveal some colour so at least you can see what you got - you could have a play at processing it when its cloudy!! 

Autosave_RGB_VNG.tif 91.13 MB · 2 downloads

That's great. Thank you Skipper Billy. I had a good couple of hours of clear skies last night and took more images of M 42 with NINA and simply took the subs in FITS file. They came out in colour  when I processed in GIMP. However, I have a feeling software like Pixinsight may bring out more out of it. I am not very good at post processing and heard that Pixinsight is a bit more complex programme with a steep learning curve. Just not very confident at present to try even the trial version.