NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Copernicus - Baader Solar Continuum Filter

CraigT82

26 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

10k frames, best 30% stacked.  8.75" Fullerscope, APM 2.7x barlow, Altair 290m and Baader Solar Continuum filter (narrow green)

What do you think of the filter in terms of seeing impact reduction?

It should give best of both worlds - shorter wavelengths (than say Ha) which allows for greater telescope resolution, but maybe poorer performance with respect to seeing (longer wavelengths tend to bend less in atmosphere).

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

What do you think of the filter in terms of seeing impact reduction?

It should give best of both worlds - shorter wavelengths (than say Ha) which allows for greater telescope resolution, but maybe poorer performance with respect to seeing (longer wavelengths tend to bend less in atmosphere).

Yes it's only really useful in good seeing, and the narrow bandpass would help limit atmospheric dispersion when the moon is lower, but last night the moon was at almost 60 degrees alt so I don't think it helped much, was just a test really. It did significantly reduce the light coming in though... At 7ms exposures I needed 75% gain to get 30% on the histogram. I should have done a comparison against a normal green filter but didn't think... I will do next time. 

5 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

10k frames, best 30% stacked.  8.75" Fullerscope, APM 2.7x barlow, Altair 290m and Baader Solar Continuum filter (narrow green)

Copernicus 230121 Green filter.png

Nice closeup. A bit dark my end. Its surprising how much detail is lurking in the dark areas, hope you dont mind, wanted to see what some adjustments could reveal. just histo and gamma adjustment. Got rid of the noise too. You may not like it. See what you think

2072726571_Copernicus230121Greenfilter.png.4f2c81b66c06bab48d382283c3a5a962.png

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 21:11, neil phillips said:

Nice closeup. A bit dark my end. Its surprising how much detail is lurking in the dark areas, hope you dont mind, wanted to see what some adjustments could reveal. just histo and gamma adjustment. Got rid of the noise too. You may not like it. See what you think

2072726571_Copernicus230121Greenfilter.png.4f2c81b66c06bab48d382283c3a5a962.png

Thats a really nice edit, much better than my own attempt! Thanks Neil. 

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Thats a really nice edit, much better than my own attempt! Thanks Neil. 

Its interesting Craig. I remember the fullerscope brand. 8.75 Is one of the sizes that can deliver a little more than the more common 8" 

Looks clear here tonight, moon 48 degrees. Been restoring a old 114 F8 Newt. Its looking good. Hope to get some images