NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS-Optics AP 102/714

Believe or not I miss my Startravel 120. The contrast, pinpoint stars and wide views were great, but fully loaded it was way over the AZGTI weight limit and the scope was really a one trick pony - at its best at medium to low power observing.

I've developed a hankering for another refractor, but compared to the Startravel would like the next one to have decent build quality, better glass, a more precise focuser, better at higher powers, while keeping things light and grab n' go. All of course keeping to a very tight budget. A lot to ask I know.

The TS Optics AP 102/714 Apochromatic has caught my eye at £560. The specs look good to me, but has a anyone further advice or actually used one? Thanks.

Be aware that buying from Europe has now become more complicated, and is likely to add significant cost to the list price.

As far as I can determine, there's 4% duty payable on Optical instrument imports and VAT payable as well. Shipping companies will apply a handling charge on top. 

It does look as though AstroShop are continuing to offer to sell into UK, but many European retailers are declining to ship to here. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Thanks 1

I think it looks like a very nice telescope, and definitely an improvement on the star travel. It isn't FPL53 (probably FPL51 or similar) and so will have some residual CA, but not on the level of the Star Travel. I'm sure it will perform admirably as an all round scope.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

I think that would be a fine choice. I started with a ST120 (with a dual speed focuser)  and used it for a long time alongside a 127 Maksutov to cover all the bases. I enjoyed both but wanted to simplify to one scope that was easy to handle, good quality,  and with a good focuser. I got a 102mm f7 refractor similar to this (but fpl53 and therefore higher cost) and it has been great. Although the TS may be fpl51 its still a good quality f7 refractor with a good focuser and I would bet it is still going to be winning.

I still have my ST120 and the Maksutov but the 102mm f7 gets all the small-scope action  these days as it can do everything and is easier to use.

It is 20mm less aperture and that drop was noticeable but I knew for me a 120mm longer than f5 would have been too big and would not have been used after the novelty wore off.

Edited by Paz
  • Like 1

TS has over a dozen or so of them in stock. No one in the UK has this version for sale. There is the chance of getting hit with additional customs tax when it arrives so be warned. Brexit is beginning to bite as far as Astro gear is concerned. I have just bought a hard case for my frac, the EDR version of the same scope so I will let the forum know how I get on. 

As for the scope I think it's something of a bargain and a big step up in optics and build quality from your SW 120.

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I think it looks like a very nice telescope, and definitely an improvement on the star travel. It isn't FPL53 (probably FPL51 or similar) and so will have some residual CA, but not on the level of the Star Travel. I'm sure it will perform admirably as an all round scope.

FPL 51 glass... we think.  FOL 53 is another 300 quid

42 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks for the replies. I totally forgot about the Altair Astro Ascent Starwave 102 . It's currently £100 cheaper and very similarly spec'd.

I remember reading the great review in Sky at Night Magazine. I'll probably go for this. I've requested to be notified when they're back in stock.

I don't think it will be that price when they're back in stock. Dropping prices when no stock is in is a pretty common tactic

• Like 1

I received an 'in stock'  notification so couldn't resist.

A brief but positive Youtube review, Sky at Night Magazine, the decent Altair reputation and the advice here swung it.

I've ordered the FPL-51 Starwave ASCENT 102ED F7 Refractor Telescope .

After joining the BAA on Monday and being accepted as a Liverpool Astronomical Society prospect, this tops off a good astro week. Clear weekend skies might be asking too much? 😆🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet