Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EOS Clip to 2" adapter

Does using a clip-in to 2" filter adapter work properly or does it lose some of it's effect?
I'm concerned that the "edges" of the clip in filter will block the light path when it's further away form the sensor than what they're designed for, so I'm not sure if I should get an adapter or switch out my clip ins to 2" filters instead.

Link for referance: https://www.highpointscientific.com/astronomik-eos-clip-to-m48-filter-adapter-eos-m48

They are sold on the RVO site in UK but don't seem to have any reviews.

Astronomik 2" M48 To EOS Clip Filter Adaptor - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

There is a link where EOS clip filters were used in a filter wheel (with a DIY 3D print adapter)

Astronomik EOS Clip-Filter to 2" adapter - DIY Astronomer - Stargazers Lounge

but I can;t find much else about how well they may work.

There is no doubt that the filter glass itself will perform just as expected, it is after all just a different sized/shaped version of the other round mounted and unmounted versions.

And the filter holder will allow it to be placed where a 2” filter would be normally placed.

But it won’t make it a 2” filter - its physically smaller.  It’s designed to sit really close the sensor so the glass can be as small as possible.  If you are using it with a similar sized sensor but further away from the sensor, then it’s very probably you will, at best, get vignetting but, at worse, weird reflections from the square edges.  This effect will vary depending on the speed of the system - faster is worse.

I think many of us, including myself, started off with clip filters, then ended up selling them and buying 2” filters. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1