NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD2, APT and usb connection to laptop

GrampyG

Hi

I've not used the above yet so my question may be somewhat naïve.

Can I connect my mount, guide camera and dslr to my laptop using a 10m (unpowered) cable to a 4 port hub (unpowered) fixed to the tripod and run PHD2 and APT? This will allow me to place the laptop in the garage and the scope outside. Am I right in assuming that the single usb from the laptop will control the 3 function of camera, guide camera and mount via the 4 port usb hub?

Thank you

G

Not sure about the 10m cable, or the unpowered hub, but I connect my mount, DSLR (when I used it) and guide camera via a home made powered hub and a 2m cable and PHD2, APT and the planetarium program all run very happily on my 2nd hand refurbed Toughbook, so the answer maybe try and see but be prepared to invest in a plastic box to put the laptop closer to the mount?

If it's USB3 then no! I believe USB3 is only good upto about 2m. Even with USB2, running 10m unpowered is not recommended. You would probably get lots of lost connection problems, if it works at all. USB is flakey at the best of times.

Edited by Stargazer33

Thank you for your reply.

I've just got into guiding and have been using an ASIair Pro with no problems. Unfortunately it does not support my current camera so I'm having to turn to my laptop which does (APT). I didn't really fancy putting laptop/power cables outside. Someone did tell me that they used a powered hub and powered cable but as I had a shorter run I thought that unpowered versions might work.

Thank you

G

Thank you for all your replies and advice.

As stated earlier, I am using an ASIair Pro, which for me is very easy, especially as I am WELL past my sell-buy date 😵. I've had some good stuff via the ASI but I still need to tweak a few settings on guiding. So, with reference to the new camera I'll go back to polar aligning with polar scope, then 3 star align using my red spot finders - I've always got good results with the EQ6-R this way. Then use the ASIair purely for guiding - saves all the cabling, etc. Hopefully ZWO will bring in new firmware for the camera soon.

Thank you all once again. Just need people with all you knowledge living close to me 🙂 (when lockdown ends).

Cheers

G

The maximum run for USB2 cables is 5 metres, so your unpowered 10 metre cable should be an Active cable, which reclocks the pulses - it probably is.

A lot depends on the power demands of the cameras, try it and see..

I'd prefer a Powered Hub on the tripod, you could get a 5 volt Hub and run it off a battery pack:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3800mAh-High-Capacity-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-fits-for-Wii-Balance-Board/174571659262?hash=item28a5481ffe:g:j1MAAOSwfUxe~use.

Low voltage so no safety concerns.

Michael