NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scope so many?

Stu Wilson

Its just a wish and very big thought at the moment...... but I've had my skywatcher 200P for some 20 years and its getting a bit rough so thinking about new scope.

I've not looked through an eyepiece for several years i just use for AP.

Do I go refractor route or stick to newtonian but possibly bigger?

I'm fancying refractor. Probs 2nd hand if I can find something good but what is good without taking out a mortgage?

Please comment like hell I need advice.

Thanks in advance.

Clear skies

Stu

So a short focal length and decent aperture.

I used to have the TS version of this and not a lightweight but great for low to medium power widefield and should be fine for visual on an NEQ6 mount. 

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-starwave-152-v2.html

The TS version is quite a bit more expensive but in stock.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2229_TS-Optics-6--f-5-9-Refractor---2-5--R-P-Focuser---Ohara--Japan--Objective.html

1B359061-4977-46BE-935B-1CC62C9DCAC6.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I'm slightly confused by your original post, you want scope for visual, AP or capable of both?

When I was first reading your post - I understood that you have SW 200p dobsonian which is getting old now and you want something for visual.

Then I read that you mostly do AP and haven't used scope for visual in quite some time.

Now, looking at your gear list - I'm thinking - maybe it's not F/6 dob at all - maybe it is 200p parabolic F/5 newtonian used both for visual and AP.

Scope that @johninderby recommended is primarily visual scope - that added to confusion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I'm slightly confused by your original post, you want scope for visual, AP or capable of both?

When I was first reading your post - I understood that you have SW 200p dobsonian which is getting old now and you want something for visual.

Then I read that you mostly do AP and haven't used scope for visual in quite some time.

Now, looking at your gear list - I'm thinking - maybe it's not F/6 dob at all - maybe it is 200p parabolic F/5 newtonian used both for visual and AP.

Scope that @johninderby recommended is primarily visual scope - that added to confusion.

yes I use for only AP

The way I see this is that you are replacing scope that has:

a) 8" of aperture (171mm of clear aperture - when mirror reflectivity and secondary obstruction effects are taken into account)

b) 1000mm of focal length

Even 6" APO refractor will be slight step down in terms of aperture, but yes - something like Esprit 150 would be considered as replacement.

There aren't many options for 6" refractor really - and they are all very expensive.

For about half of the price of one such scope - you could get a range of telescopes that you could use for different things, so consider that as well.

Say you want very wide field - then 80mm F/6 APO with reducer is hard to beat.

For medium fields you can get one of those 6" F/4 fast scopes to be used with 4/3 type camera (maybe APS-C - but here coma corrector needs to be good to match sensor size).

Want to get up close? Maybe 8" RC scope with reducer at F/6?

All that will cost half of Esprit 1500 - and you get nice 80mm apo as well :D

• Thanks 1

Galaxies and Nebulae still covers a lot of ground.  I use a small WO GT71 to do widefield imaging on the larger nebulae and big galaxy targets such as M31 and M33.  If you are looking that way a 70 - 100mm APO triplet should do fine and you can run a 5 or 6 class mount.  If you are looking at small FOV then a 130-150 class scope and bigger mount will be needed.

• Thanks 1

Also, on consideration, for anything short of premium (Mesu / 10 Micron) I think th e150 Esprit would be too much. Not in terms of mass, but moment arm. For that reason Vlaiv's suggestions found good.

• Thanks 1