Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime/Dusk Lunar with the Heritage 150p & Baader UV/IR Cut Filter

Chris

Hi,

When using a colour camera one should actually always use a Luminance (UV/IR-cut) filter as UV and IR will mess up white balance too much. If you really want to boost contrast during dusk or dawn a red or IR-pass filter will actually give a more dramatic effect, as it is mostly the UV and blue light scatter that will deteriorate contrast. Downside is that you will be imaging monochromatic then and will not get the mineral colors of the lunar soil.

clear skies.

Wouter

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2021 at 10:35, wouterdhoye said:

When using a colour camera one should actually always use a Luminance (UV/IR-cut) filter

Thanks Wouter, and yes I agree, I wrote text during the video saying the same thing. I think it was the second piece of text although it was quite brief :) 

On 11/01/2021 at 10:35, wouterdhoye said:

If you really want to boost contrast during dusk or dawn a red or IR-pass filter will actually give a more dramatic effect, as it is mostly the UV and blue light scatter that will deteriorate contrast. Downside is that you will be imaging monochromatic then and will not get the mineral colors of the lunar soil.

I read an article about using IR pass or red filters for mono lunar imaging and this is something I really want to try once I've got my hands on another mono camera in order to make the most of it. Watch this space (no pun intended) 😄

Cheers Wouter, is that your lunar work shown on your Avatar? 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

Actually, you can try the IR-pass filter with a colour camera. Most colour cameras become sort of mono cameras at IR-wavelengths. See the sensitivity curves of asi 224 or the new asi 462 cameras or their QHY equivalents. Not sure about bigger colour cameras. A colour camera can become a dual purpose camera that way.

My avatar is showing my work behind me. was during an exhibit for the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing. The image shows the full lunar disc and close ups of every Apollo landing sites.

Wouter.

• Like 1