Thinking of selling my kit for a refractor

Hi

As I live in a first floor flat and have 2 flights of stairs to go up and down as I've mentioned before in many of my posts on here, I'm looking at selling my set ups to purchase something more portable for basic imaging at first and visual. When I bought my current scopes I was in the hope of getting it outside to use but sadly this hasn't been the case at all, I've never managed to get it outside once. I did go big fast and made many errors in doing so and have only been able to use it through my bedroom window which I know isn't the correct way but it's all I have. So I'm looking at purchasing a portable refractor set up for basic imaging at first and visual as I want to get outside with a telescope and something that suits taking up and down 2 flights of stairs. I've been looking at the skywatcher brands as this is the brand I have and really like (I know nothing will be available for many months yet). I'd like your advice on what set up I can get if when I sell my current set ups.

They are listed as follows :

Skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 with ra motor drive which I added. (bought 7-20)

Skywatcher skymax 127 maksutov (bought 7-20)

Astrozap 127 dew shield 

Batiniv mask 150mm-200mm

9x50 straight through finderscope (bought 8-20) 

9x50 RA erecting finderscope (bought 8-20)

This set up is quite new and well looked after. So if I sold this little lot what could I be looking at, the skywatcher evostar series looks good or have seen the sky-watcher starquest-102r f/4.9 achromatic refractor telescope but would like tracking also. Sorry this is a bit of a wierd post in selling a complete newish set up to fund a smaller one. Clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7

I was think about keeping the 9x50 ra finderscope, just would like a more portable kit that I can easily take down the stairs and set up outside rather than I was over optimistically thinking I could lump about all my kit I have now, which I can't. I like the look of the starquest-102r that lockie at diy astro has posted videos of. I've also seen this SKYWATCHER EVOSTAR 72ED DS PRO REFRACTOR as its a apochromatic refractor , would this be suitable for the mounts that are portable eg the equatorial mount on the starquest or the other portable mounts.

Edited by LeeHore7

The problem that you're going to have is that if you want to do imaging the mounts you should be looking at are even bigger and heavier than the mount you're currently not using because it is too big and heavy. The exception might be a star adventurer with just a camera+lens. I think I've seen photos of a 72ED mounted on one before, but the imagers will have to advise on how well it works in practice. 

• Like 1

I've now decided to sell my skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 with ra motor fitted and 9x50 straight through finderscope (not the 9x50 ra one) all original boxes and purchase a skywatcher az gti mount and tripod do I can easily use my skymax 127 on it outside as its very portable and has the goto function plus can add my dslr onto it also. See how I go with that before selling the skymax for a refractor. I see the skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 without a motor are going for £320 on average new so with the motor fitted is £300 a good price to sell. 

1 minute ago, Ricochet said:

The problem that you're going to have is that if you want to do imaging the mounts you should be looking at are even bigger and heavier than the mount you're currently not using because it is too big and heavy. The exception might be a star adventurer with just a camera+lens. I think I've seen photos of a 72ED mounted on one before, but the imagers will have to advise on how well it works in practice. 

Yes that's my issue I can't do heavy mounts, I've seen a few videos online of users having maksutovs and refractors plus dslr on an az gti mount quite well, I know I'm not going to get images like the great imagers on here are getting but I'm just looking at basic stuff then going from there and to be able like you say to have my dslr on the mount alone. 

Hi, before you do anything I'd suggest looking at the 'No EQ Challenge' thread to show what can be done with an Alt-Az mount- you really don't have to have a great heavy mount to start to image with. You do  however need to have a set up that allows you to get outside and observe and image as you have found out.

I don't know what your sky is like in your part of Cornwall or your chance of getting to a dark site. To have a dark location is a prize indeed and might not cost you anything. I usually suggest an Alt-Az mount as a means of testing the water so to speak as astro-photography can get very expensive really fast. If you do go down the Alt-Az route for starters the book, "Astrophotography on the Go" is a great read-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/astrophotography-on-the-go-book.html

It's getting a bit old now as many new mounts have come out in the intervening years but still a very worthwhile read, I'd actually say a bible for Alt-Az work.

A SkyWatcher Star Adventurer is also a good starter mount but it's more an imaging platform but is EQ in operation.

Good luck researching and in your future endeavours.

Cheers,

Stdve

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi, before you do anything I'd suggest looking at the 'No EQ Challenge' thread to show what can be done with an Alt-Az mount- you really don't have to have a great heavy mount to start to image with. You do  however need to have a set up that allows you to get outside and observe and image as you have found out.

I don't know what your sky is like in your part of Cornwall or your chance of getting to a dark site. To have a dark location is a prize indeed and might not cost you anything. I usually suggest an Alt-Az mount as a means of testing the water so to speak as astro-photography can get very expensive really fast. If you do go down the Alt-Az route for starters the book, "Astrophotography on the Go" is a great read-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/astrophotography-on-the-go-book.html

It's getting a bit old now as many new mounts have come out in the intervening years but still a very worthwhile read, I'd actually say a bible for Alt-Az work.

A SkyWatcher Star Adventurer is also a good starter mount but it's more an imaging platform but is EQ in operation.

Good luck researching and in your future endeavours.

Cheers,

Stdve

Thank you for your post, I have looked at the no eq challenge before and is really good but as you said I need a set up that can get me outside first the two mounts I've been looking at are the skywatcher az gti WiFi one and the one that comes with the skywatcher starquest-102r as lockie diy astro has gone videos on then my dslr can be mounted also. I'm thinking of just selling my skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 with ra motor drive it costs £433 new so what would you call a reasonable price to sell second hand it's in excellent condition and 6 months old. Clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 1

Hi Lee,

I have the same problem as you, I live in a first floor flat and with communal gardens, so I didn’t like lugging it all down stairs, setting it up then find clouds rolling in! I’ve now down sized to a Celestron 80ed refractor and a Meade etx125 ( without its fork mount), I now have a SW AZ-GTI, light weight so very portable. It’s on the top weight limit of the etx, but with it balanced it’s yet to complain.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Hi Lee,

I have the same problem as you, I live in a first floor flat and with communal gardens, so I didn’t like lugging it all down stairs, setting it up then find clouds rolling in! I’ve now down sized to a Celestron 80ed refractor and a Meade etx125 ( without its fork mount), I now have a SW AZ-GTI, light weight so very portable. It’s on the top weight limit of the etx, but with it balanced it’s yet to complain.

chaz

It's a pain I must admit and never got my set up outside at all. I like the sound of your set up and would like to get the sw az gti WiFi mount. I have my skymax 127  and I've seen someone put it on this mount with dslr but getting close to weight limit and works well. I am definitely going to sell my sw explorer 150p eq3-2 with ra drive but would consider selling my skymax 127 also to get a nice refractor and az gti mount. I'm glad your enjoying your new set up, clear skies

• Thanks 1

Part of the weight issue is the camera, using a dslr it’s going to be heavy, I still have my Phillips toucam pro webcam, although I have canon eos cameras, they’re just too heavy if you want a light weight setup. Nearly a year ago I bought the Eq6 pro mount, haven’t used it yet.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1

with what you already own I would seel the eq3-2 and 150p, for the reasons you already commented

the az-gti fits the smaller lighter angle I think and has both alt az great for observing and imaging start (but take the 127mm mak off unless it is Moon or  planets and instead use a small refractor or camera lens. If you get into imaging then could look then at the eq firmware update and add a wedge and counter balance and use a refractor or camera lens on DSO.

I don't own one just my thoughts

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

with what you already own I would seel the eq3-2 and 150p, for the reasons you already commented

the az-gti fits the smaller lighter angle I think and has both alt az great for observing and imaging start (but take the 127mm mak off unless it is Moon or  planets and instead use a small refrsctor or camera lens. If you get into imaging then could look at eq firmware update and add a wedge and counter balance and use a refractor or camera lens on DSO.

Thank you Kat, yes I'm selling my sw explorer 150p eq3-2 with motor and hoping to purchase the AZ gti mount and tripod as aftercwstching a lot of videos it is a very capable piece of kit and very portable and stable, plus as you've said I can buy dovetail and wedge accessories for mounting my dslr to it then look out for a refractor later in the year. Clear skies 

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I see you also have a refractor though at f10 you would have to check if it is too long for the az-gti, check the long thread on that mount to see what other long refractors are being used.

Yes my f10 refractor is an old meade one that has a meade goto system that I was trying to fix,  I got second hand a while ago 80mm aperture 800mm focal length so quite a long one 

I’ve added the mount head SW tube extension to clear my Celestron ED80 from clouting the tripod. 
Here’s a picture of the counter weight with adaptor fitted to the 12mm bolt, might give some idea as to what can be done.

chaz

38EBB773-B200-46E1-B1F0-AFFC6EC2FEDE.jpeg

7FDCE056-9D49-4FF5-A4B2-56AD35EBEF06.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

I’ve added the mount head SW tube extension to clear my Celestron ED80 from clouting the tripod. 
Here’s a picture of the counter weight with adaptor fitted to the 12mm bolt, might give some idea as to what can be done.

chaz

38EBB773-B200-46E1-B1F0-AFFC6EC2FEDE.jpeg

7FDCE056-9D49-4FF5-A4B2-56AD35EBEF06.jpeg

Hi chaz 

I like that idea and seen on the Internet a star adventurer counterweight and bar could suffice or larger weights. How are you finding the sw az gti mount and tripod for you astronomy. Clear skies 

22 hours ago, happy-kat said:

If you get into imaging then could look then at the eq firmware update and add a wedge and counter balance and use a refractor or camera lens on DSO.

I've been looking in the Internet and seen plenty of people using the sw az gti with a wedge and counterweights for use in eq mode with the firmware update via sw website so there's another option again with this portable mount. Clear skies 

1 hour ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi chaz 

I like that idea and seen on the Internet a star adventurer counterweight and bar could suffice or larger weights. How are you finding the sw az gti mount and tripod for you astronomy. Clear skies 

Not used all this in anger, but hopefully some clear skies may appear. I’ve yet to purchase a wedge for this mount, might even make one, not difficult. Lazy nerd has some vids on YT if you haven’t found him, he’s quite entertaining I find.

chaz

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

Lazy nerd has some vids on YT if you haven’t found him, he’s quite entertaining I find.

Yes I came across his videos test whilst searching about the sw az gti. He seems entertaining enough, it seems the az gti is quite a popular mount nowadays.