Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bader film vs polymer vs type 2 glass filters

SmokeyJoe

I would like to dip my toe in solar observation/imaging.   So far I have come across three different types of 'clip on' filters with very little explanation of the difference between them.  They are

Bader Solar film

Black polymer solar filter

Type 2 glass solar filter

Can anybody provide a simple explation of the differences. 

I'm using a 4" frac if it makes any difference.

Baader solar film is the best and will give sharper more contrasy views than the others. Next best thing to a Herschel wedge. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Black polymer filter is no where near as good as the Baader. Lacks sharpness and contrast in comparison to the Baader. 👎🏽👎🏽👎🏽

Glass filters aren’t that good as the price of optically flat glaas is so expensive it’s simply not used any more in solar filters. The cheap glass used in the commonly available filters simply isn’t optically flat unlike the Baader film. 👎🏽👎🏽

The old Zeiss glass solar filters were exceptional but if you could find one nowadays it would probably cost over a thousand quid. 🙀

So I would recommend the Baader film if you are on a budget or a Herschel wedge. Wedges are only for use on refractors. 

This is what I use now. I do use a Baader filter on the RACI finder though.

BD9373FE-1AD7-4AB8-90CD-6165D59DE6E4.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

The "secret" of Baader type film is it's thinness.  It's so thin that it has no optical effect even when in a relaxed undulating state.  Pulling the material taut in order to make it look flat stretches the material and causes distortions.    🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1