Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Nebula (anything really) captured now I’m hooked !

That's not a bad result for just 30 mins of data on a first attempt.

You have captured the dust lanes so can see it is a Galaxy.

There is some coma on the stars top left and top right (ellipse shapes) , does your scope have a flattener.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fifeskies said:

That's not a bad result for just 30 mins of data on a first attempt.

You have captured the dust lanes so can see it is a Galaxy.

There is some coma on the stars top left and top right (ellipse shapes) , does your scope have a flattener.

I do need to get a flattener, so yes aware of the limitations with current setup & only now learnt I could have framed subject using handset arrows so this was too far toward edge of frame.

i have been thinking about the OVL Flattener but a bit sceptical as it seems too cheap compared to others but equally I don’t want to spend twice as much if it doesn’t perform any better ?

Using platesolving to frame your target is far superior to manual framing with the arrow controls.

In particular this is important for combining runs from different dates.

APT has many targets already in the object database and you can add your own.

This way you can set your scope to the exact same position you were at previously to gather more data at another time to improve your stacked image.

It is fairly easy to set up , just remember to download the platesolve databases appropriate to your imaging system.

The online guides explain the process.

It all works very easily with a little practise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Yes I watched it and made notes, a step by step set of instructions but I get lost around creating the star masks etc, I’ll try like you say play/pause whilst editing alongside. Also the quality of the data he is using is better than I’ve captured so there’s a lot more signal to play with.

I tried with the 30mins of andromeda I captured in a cloud window, although not the greatest the process is becoming a bit more natural...

C668E437-A6E2-41FD-8459-C16535E5CEF2.jpeg

Re: Processing tutorials. If you have a desktop pc then I'd recommend buying a second monitor, this may sound a daft over the top purchase but I find mine invaluable for following tutorials step by step (I do use it for alot of other things aswell though. You can pick them up second hand very cheaply, starting at around £20-£30. 

AP has a very steep learning curve & for me anything that makes it even just a little easier is worthwhile 🙂

• Like 2

A second monitor is a very good idea.

In fact I use 3 for my imaging.

1 main one for APT

1 for guiding with PHD2

1 for Stellarium and anything else , I have a live weather app monitoring local radar for incoming rain.

Any old monitor will do for this, I acquired some cheap 4:3 format old ones for 2 of them.

You can cram this via seperate windows onto one large monitor if it has enough resolution but individual screens works better for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

A second monitor is a very good idea.

In fact I use 3 for my imaging.

1 main one for APT

1 for guiding with PHD2

1 for Stellarium and anything else , I have a live weather app monitoring local radar for incoming rain.

Any old monitor will do for this, I acquired some cheap 4:3 format old ones for 2 of them.

You can cram this via seperate windows onto one large monitor if it has enough resolution but individual screens works better for me.

I think I may now need a 3rd now 🤣

I find having an extra monitor such a time saver, its so much easier than having to either swap between windows or having 1 window smaller etc. Aswell as my astronomy work they also work well for my outdoor hobbies such as mountain biking, hiking, climbing etc where I use 2 screens for planning & plotting routes & navigation. For the very small cost (Very very small when it comes to AP gear 😬) I think its definitely money well spent.

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

Yes 3 is better than 2   😀

Most desktop computers support multiple monitors, or you can use an external splitter

Imaging desk mini.jpg

I built my own PC which was pretty easy with all the online tutorials & a lot cheaper than a pre built system. I think another monitor is on the cards now 🙂IMG_20201017_145832_9.thumb.jpg.16db78eb548e0d29b504360240fbd291.jpg

• Like 1

Holy Moly !! I can see me using the 50” OLED in the lounge to use as a monitor for the laptop !! 😂

any thoughts on affordable Guide cameras ? It seems the ZWO s the ubiquitous choice but call me vain I like the purple on the Altair GPCAM 🙈

HNY

26 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Holy Moly !! I can see me using the 50” OLED in the lounge to use as a monitor for the laptop !! 😂

any thoughts on affordable Guide cameras ? It seems the ZWO s the ubiquitous choice but call me vain I like the purple on the Altair GPCAM 🙈

HNY

I'm using this ZWO ASI 120mm-s USB 3.0 paired with my Evoguide 50ED.IMG_20201110_150812_0.thumb.jpg.164ab94650a877807b3d7344bdcdcf24.jpgIMG_20201110_140742_3.thumb.jpg.ac5fd14b81676da7331442d09806b8a3.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

This is exactly the same as i use... good pair

I have a 50mm guide/finder scope on its way to replace my annoying red dot, Is this the mono version ? Any particular reason for this model over the mini version for example ?

1 minute ago, Newforestgimp said:

I have a 50mm guide/finder scope on its way to replace my annoying red dot, Is this the mono version ? Any particular reason for this model over the mini version for example ?

Yes it the mono.. I read there were driver problems with the usb 2.0 version so opted for this instead 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just looking at price difference it’s really only £20 more for this than the mini version, did you guys buy as a dedicated guide camera or did you migrate it from imaging duties ?

for me ATM the guiding side is the focus as I’ll continue with DSLR until I feel I’m up to another layer of complexity.

thanks again chaps

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

This is exactly the same as i use... good pair

@Anthony1979 It seems a very popular choice. Yesterday I ordered the ZWO ASiair control unit, this will then Pair with my upcoming ZWO ASI 533mc-Pro so it should be a fairly decent setup.

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 2

I have a ZWO 290mm mini for guiding and the odd spot of planetary imaging , use it with an ST80 for guiding.

I use the diagonal to get enough backfocus but should really get an extension tube for the guider , but it works fine as is.

Imaging_rig mini.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newforestgimp said:

The 120mm-s also has a faster transfer rate (I think) with it being USB 3.0 & as it's mono it has a more sensitive sensor so its better at picking out guide stars. Also I think a finder guider would be less stable than the set up I've gone for although there's probably not much in it. I prefer the 50ED as it will also be more suitable for guiding at longer focal lengths, so it gives me more options later on.

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

Just looking at price difference it’s really only £20 more for this than the mini version, did you guys buy as a dedicated guide camera or did you migrate it from imaging duties ?

for me ATM the guiding side is the focus as I’ll continue with DSLR until I feel I’m up to another layer of complexity.

thanks again chaps

I got it just for mainly guiding but i will use it on the moon occasionally for the kids to watch on the laptop

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

thanks again chaps

I bought my 120 solely for guiding although I did take some shots of the Moon to test everything was working as it should

• Like 1