Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Decisions decisions ...

Baqck on topic :

A new thread entitled 'NEWBIE' here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/368885-newbie/?tab=comments#comment-4008403

just started, and the first few responses were requests for further information as follows:

knobby

•  
 "Hi Andy, lots of types of scopes available, what are you interested in ? Planets , deep sky objects ?

This will tailor the scope to suit your interests ..."

faulksy

"hi andy and welcome to sgl

need to know a few things first

1, budget

2, storage (have you got somewhere to store it )

3, transport (are you planning on taking it with you on trips, have you got a big vehicle)"

On 22/12/2020 at 14:25, Second Time Around said:

I'm not sure that a decision tree is the right answer as it would have to be so complex. However, I do think that Heather has a point.

Would a list of standard questions be a better idea? As John has pointed out questions and answers give a two-way exchange of information.

Without standard questions something could be missed out. I remember one occasion when it turned out a newbie not only had to carry a scope up and down stairs, but would have had to leave the mount unattended in an outside public place.  That was discovered only at the last minute and so the earlier advice was inappropriate.

What might usefully be added to the above questions ? As the consensus of opinion is that a decision tree style setup would be just too complex, avoiding yes/no questions would be a good idea : open ended ones which provoke an answer with some detail .

Heather

Could we not have a small decision tree that takes you to one of several answers with the aim of narrowing down what they want before people come to the forums. 

I have just done a very quick pen written idea below, this way it can help focus peoples minds on what their own personal objectives are!

Scan_0002.thumb.jpg.f158928b9ddd6feb2cb8a1dd0eeb8308.jpg

• Like 1