Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 150p

37 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

Does anyone know where has got any stock of a SW150p on a goto mount.

A friend is desperately trying to buy her daughter 1 for Xmas.

Cheers

Clear skies

Stu

They are apparently in stock here but i'd email just to confirm. They're usually pretty quick to respond https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-pro-goto-telescope.html

1 minute ago, nephilim said:

They are apparently in stock here but i'd email just to confirm. They're usually pretty quick to respond https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-pro-goto-telescope.html

You beat me to it... I was just googling around to see if anywhere else had them... seems most places are totally out of stock of SW scopes at the moment !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malc-c said:

You beat me to it... I was just googling around to see if anywhere else had them... seems most places are totally out of stock of SW scopes at the moment !

The waiting times for stock at the moment are ridiculous, on a plus point though I'm starting to see a fair bit of kit going up for sale second hand on the fbook astro sites as people realise they wont be getting the Hubble quality images they were hoping for. Fingers crossed this trend will continue & we'll be in for some bargains in the new year 😃

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Another possibility https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/sky-watcher-explorer-150p-parabolic-newtonian-reflector-telescope.html

Doesn't say out of stock and you can add one to the basket, but I would call them and place the order (assuming its in stock)

The Synscan version of this one comes up with 'notify me when this item is available'. Its only the non goto in stock.

Another option if it doesn't have to be a 150p... @FLO have this 130p on a Starquest manual mount (Alt/AZ and Eq).... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-starquest-130p-f5-parabolic-newtonian-reflector-telescope.html

Which could be combined with this Star Discovery WiFi goto mount... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-star-discovery-wifi-az-goto-mount-tripod.html

This would give lots of options for goto and manual (both Alt/AZ and Eq), the Starquest can even have a motor drive added later.

If she then wants to upgrade, both mounts would take other OTAs... not sure if there's really a great deal of difference between 130p and 150p for (presumably) beginner.

More importantly, both items are in stock for delivery before Xmas... good luck 🤞

Edited by HollyHound

1 minute ago, nephilim said:

The waiting times for stock at the moment are ridiculous, 

Not helped by 1900 containers being lost at sea  when the ship ran into a storm.... wonder how many SW scopes are now at the bottom of the sea !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've e mailed RVO a few times when their page said 'low stock,  contact us', and the reply has always come back fast but in the negative. I think they are a shop with online bolted on (I know they are a shop actually, I drove up  there to collect my heritage 150 in early summer ) and do not have instant , real time stock level count on their site , unlike FLO .

Worth a try though ...

Heather (who is nervously watching the mostly clear sky, with some small clouds ... shall I put the 'scope out to cool ? Yes, I think I shall ... )

Edited by Tiny Clanger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nephilim said:

The Synscan version of this one comes up with 'notify me when this item is available'. Its only the non goto in stock.

So getting the non goto version and purchase the GOTO upgrade for £322 would be one possible way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

the widescreen centre doesnt actually have a live update on stock ... so please email or call them first .

Personally given the shortage of astro gear I would be spending an afternoon on the phone ringing round making enquiries rather than relying on someone monitoring a mailbox. 

3 hours ago, malc-c said:

Personally given the shortage of astro gear I would be spending an afternoon on the phone ringing round making enquiries rather than relying on someone monitoring a mailbox. 

I can only speak from experience as I know both Simon and Elena , that they are extremely efficient in answering emails . Having said that it is of course a busy time of year . 

4 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I can only speak from experience as I know both Simon and Elena , that they are extremely efficient in answering emails . Having said that it is of course a busy time of year . 

I think that most decent retailers can provide that level of service, but because we are a week away from Christmas, short supply and a lot of suppliers maybe on skeleton staff due to Covid... was why I made that suggestion.  I wasn't inferring that mails were being ignored

• Like 1

Sorry , yes I understood .. and tbh you are right .. I emailed them today about an item and Elena got back to me.. they are closed today so I was a bit surprised I got an answer today but obviously happy that I did . Anyway as everyone has said  it’s all a bit frantic where gear is concerned , I doubt it will get better in the short term so the second hand market is even more enticing . The good thing about our hobby is that people look after their  scopes etc